herd Dispersals

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
With all the Herd dispersals lately and some long time ranches deciding to quit raising cattle, i wonder if they are smarter than the rest of us and see something we dont. i could be looking at this in the wrong way but just seems like more of them than usual this year. Any others notice this. think they see something we dont or am i just reading more into it than need be

Yep, with costs the way they are there will not be any money for the next couple of years.
Also capital gain taxes are good right now and bound to go up.
Now is a good time to go IF you are planning to get out in the next 3 to 5 years.

It could get hard. I am culling as is everyone I know that just doesnt have land sitting around waiting to put a few head on. Those people are out there but less than there have been in the past.

plbcattle":2zwd2elj said:
With all the Herd dispersals lately and some long time ranches deciding to quit raising cattle, i wonder if they are smarter than the rest of us and see something we dont. i could be looking at this in the wrong way but just seems like more of them than usual this year. Any others notice this. think they see something we dont or am i just reading more into it than need be

It might depend on the breed, but I think you're reading more into it than you should. We've been raising Angus for close to 20 years now and have seen a lot of people get in, a lot of people get out, and some of them back in again. Some add a second or third breed. There are a variety of reasons for people to disperse: age, health, money. One of our favorite places to buy Angus cows here in OK dispersed several years ago when the owners retired. They had all their retirement money tied up in the cow herd. In some places land gets to be more valuable than the cattle can support. Raising cattle is hard work and some people just want to take the money, kick back and relax.

plbcattle":eugj33i9 said:

There were 347,580 Angus cattle that were registered that year and Angus is only 51% of the registrations. Add in the 51 other breeds and that is almost 700,000 registrations. IF we assume that not every registerable calf gets registered and not every registered cow has a registerable calf, then the total number of registered cows is probably something over a million. The nation only has 41,777,000 beef COWS. The lowest number in DECADES. So one out of every ~42 cows is a registered cow?? Factor in increased acceptance of AI in commercial herds and some may believe that we have too many numbers in the seedstock segment of the industry.

http://www.beefusa.org/uDocs/cattlenumb ... ion725.pdf
http://www.accelgen.com/ShowNews.aspx?id=146

plbcattle":hej004c6 said:

There is also the flip side to this ....
Some ranchers around here have more cattle than ever ,my neighbors herd increased by another 100 head this year ( so he is at around 700 cow calf pairs). Also a fella in his 70's retired about 7 years ago ,sold all of his cattle. He is now back in it with 1000 head ???????

I wonder what those ones know that I don't . :?:

I am hanging on till I figure it out.. 8)

Also don't confuse "dispersal" with "leaving the business". WCC held a sale this year after dispersing their herd two ? years ago. Also, Sterling Hunter held it's first "post dispersal" sale this year.

we have guys here getting out as well. Some of the cows are getting bought by the bigger operations, but a fair majority are going to slaughter. Maybe the supply will get low enough that the prices will finally start to match the input costs...maybe when i retire.

rockridgecattle":2q144477 said:
Maybe the supply will get low enough that the prices will finally start to match the input costs...maybe when i retire.

Nice thought. But currently the US imports quite alot of beef. Beef cattle can and is being raised in some other countries for less than it costs to raise here.

I'd prefer my beef to be raised here in the US.

Katherine

the people that are selling their herds out are cashing in off the rep they built.if you dont have a good honest rep an cattle people want.no amount of advertising will make your ranch known.

rockridgecattle":1m5e4dsw said:
Maybe the supply will get low enough that the prices will finally start to match the input costs

We'be been there on eared cattle locally since the '05 drought when everyone sold out. Some have resorted to buying the cheap black cows and running a Brahma bull again. F1 brindles are fetching a lot of nickels at the sale barns too. I'm still needing another 100 to 150 head but I guess I am too much of a tightwad to pay the price to get eared cows.

TNMasterBeefProducer":cjg2jt79 said:
Dispersal means come buy our high priced over priced culls. We dont want em but you can have em.

Not always!!!!!
A lot of times people are wanting and or needing to infuse a different bloodline into their herd and in order to do so must get rid of some of their current herd, therefor they get rid of the bloodline that they are trying to replace.

We went to the Snake Creek Angus dispersal. Deiter Brothers are having a complete dispersal. They aren't selling their "culls". They're selling everything. Usually a good chance to buy good genetics at a decent price.

I attended Camp Cooley's sales. They sold everything except for the heifers that were still quarantined. Those heifers will be sold in November.