Herd Dispersal

Help Support CattleToday:

Not now in Texas. The prices have dropped $500. on pairs . Most are being split. Talk to you local sale barn . Then go private treaty.

Why don't you check with the local sale barn and see when they are having a special brood cow sale? If these are decent cows you should be able to get a pretty good price for them.

Thanks for the advice. Now for a really dumb question: What do I talk to the local sale barn people about and can one have a private treaty sale at a sale barn? All you pros out there just resist the urge to laugh. The only way I know to learn is to ask.[/quote]

Mosho":1j4ceb3f said:
Thanks for the advice. Now for a really dumb question: What do I talk to the local sale barn people about and can one have a private treaty sale at a sale barn? All you pros out there just resist the urge to laugh. The only way I know to learn is to ask.
[/quote]

Why would you want to have a private treaty sale at a sale barn?

3MR":538pgjrg said:
Mosho":538pgjrg said:
Thanks for the advice. Now for a really dumb question: What do I talk to the local sale barn people about and can one have a private treaty sale at a sale barn? All you pros out there just resist the urge to laugh. The only way I know to learn is to ask.

Why would you want to have a private treaty sale at a sale barn?[/quote]

Lots of people do it. The sale barn is many times cheaper than setting up a sale facility on the ranch.

Just check with your local sale barn and find out if and when they are planning a special sale. Lots of sale barns around here will hold a special sale maybe once a month-usually on a Friday or Saturday night. You might even check your local news paper to see if one is being advertised. Your cows will be pregnancy and age checked. Many folks will go to these sales to pick up some good commercial cows for their herds. Good luck. :cboy:

MikeC":2uknr5md said:
3MR":2uknr5md said:
Mosho":2uknr5md said:

Why would you want to have a private treaty sale at a sale barn?

Lots of people do it. The sale barn is many times cheaper than setting up a sale facility on the ranch.[/quote]

makes since

When a sale barn has a special stock cow sale, there will be lots of consigners. Maybe a couple of whole herd dispersals, lots of cows and lots of buyers you will get top $ for good cows, as most buyers are prepared to truck a long way. Where the grass and feed is plentiful bred stock cows are as scarce as hens teeth.

Call the salebarn tell them what you would like to do. If its got good management they will look at your cows tell you what to expect, $ will be right on they know their business.

I had a whole herd dispersal in 1985. The owner of the salebarn looked at the cows, said he would get me 750. ea.
I asked him how he could be sure, as 750 was about 100$ above average cow prices for those days. He said he had buyers who wanted the type of cows I had, and besides he was in the market for stock cows himself and would buy the whole works for 750. When the cows came in the ring, from one one to four at a time, starting price was 750. Some sold for less but most sold around the 800$ range 8)

Mosho or jemo ???? whoever you are??? Are these the same 850-900lb heavy milkers that are part Angus? Why would you want to sell good black cows when everyone else is trying to buy them? If you must sell them you will make a better buck selling private.

SSR, Mosho and Jemo are the same Person. It had been so long since she posted :) ,she forgot her name. Don't be too hard on her. She has been living with me for 47 years and I think that is most of her problem. She is really quite brilliant, and does real well in every thing else. Bud in LA :) :)

Bud In lower Ala":1he47k9n said:
SSR, Mosho and Jemo are the same Person. It had been so long since she posted :) ,she forgot her name. Don't be too hard on her. She has been living with me for 47 years and I think that is most of her problem. She is really quite brilliant, and does real well in every thing else. Bud in LA :) :)

:lol: :lol: O.K. it happens to the best of us ;-)

Jemo, are you close to Dothan, they have a replacement cow sale there the second saturday of each month. The last one was cancelled due to drought conditions and they should announce soon when the next will be.

Your cows should bring a much better price at one of those sales than a regular barn sale.

IMO

It is true, mosho and jemo are the same person. I did forget my "jemo name" because I had not posted anything in so long. Then I found the jemo name after I had registered again as mosho. I tried the jemo name to see if it was still active and it was. I will post as mosho from now on. I wasn't trying to fool anyone. Just live long enough and you will know what it is like to be long in the tooth or toothless. :oops: Anyone interested can check pictures of my old bull and a cow of ours that is typical of our herd.

Mosho":3izyf5vv said:
It is true, mosho and jemo are the same person. I did forget my "jemo name" because I had not posted anything in so long.

I can sure identify with being forgetful. I'm not senile or anything (yet), but I carry a notepad and pen with me to write things down, just so I won't miss something important. That's why I use my real name on here. Haven't forgotton it yet. ;-)

VanC":2996305b said:
Mosho":2996305b said:
It is true, mosho and jemo are the same person. I did forget my "jemo name" because I had not posted anything in so long.

I can sure identify with being forgetful. I'm not senile or anything (yet), but I carry a notepad and pen with me to write things down, just so I won't miss something important. That's why I use my real name on here. Haven't forgotton it yet. ;-)

:) Me too, on all accounts.

Latest posts