Herd dispersal bull

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Would you pay less for a bull that is coming from a going out of business sale? The bulls are good quality but if anything goes wrong there want be anybody to stand behind the bulls.

I wouldn't pay as much, but then I've had a bull that I picked out fail a semen test before, and if not for the integrity of the seller it may have been trouble.

I would say that a dispersal sale is one of the best places to buy cattle, as you are able to choose from their keepers and not just the cattle that they decided that they could do without as is the case in a production sale. Just remember, some purebred outfits disperse over and over again, like a furniture store with a constant going out of business sale. :)

Wouldn't the bulls even at a dispersal sale have been thru a bull test?

If the bull ends up infertile or to have some other problems you are not only out the cost of the bull but lost a year of herd development?

I would not buy a bull who has not had a bull test or sire some calves that I can go look at. The yearling from a major breeder should have had a bull test, shouldn't he?

yes you can get good bulls out of a sale out.youll get to see what their calves look like.as well as some of their heifers.thus showing you how good the bull is.the price to pay is up to you.

SRBeef":2mzj7fpq said:
Wouldn't the bulls even at a dispersal sale have been thru a bull test?

If the bull ends up infertile or to have some other problems you are not only out the cost of the bull but lost a year of herd development?

I would not buy a bull who has not had a bull test or sire some calves that I can go look at. The yearling from a major breeder should have had a bull test, shouldn't he?

What is a bull test? Are you talking about the eating contests that alot of people enter their bulls in?

CKC1586":cw5sc2u7 said:
I would assume it is a breeding soundness exam that is being discussed....BSE.

Thank you - yes that is what I was trying to describe - a breeding soundness exam.

I would not by a bull without either seeing recent progeny or a BSE.

This bull was bought at a herd dispersal sale for 2G

Venturesome_4_yrs.jpg

And so was this one

Sarpedon_old_good.jpg

They are our main herdsires, siring many of the champion murray greys in the ring of late.

Latest posts