herd bull prices

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
all the talk about high prices has me to thinking about what a herd bull is really worth.i just got through looking at 2 reg beefmaster bulls my friend has for sale.they are both 18 months old out of 1 of his high priced doners,with the bloodlines that would work on reg beefmaster.an he wants $4500ea for them.i run reg cows an i couldnt make a bull priced like that pencile out unless ive got 30 or 40 cows.but a $2000 to $3500 bull i can make work.how do others here decide what priced bull works best in their herds.

bigbull338":ilp3mc1l said:
all the talk about high prices has me to thinking about what a herd bull is really worth.i just got through looking at 2 reg beefmaster bulls my friend has for sale.they are both 18 months old out of 1 of his high priced doners,with the bloodlines that would work on reg beefmaster.an he wants $4500ea for them.i run reg cows an i couldnt make a bull priced like that pencile out unless ive got 30 or 40 cows.but a $2000 to $3500 bull i can make work.how do others here decide what priced bull works best in their herds.
price aside, cause we all know what that can mean, how are you able to skimp on your herd bull purchases and be a reg. breeder???

easy the guy that i have to get my herd bulls is real tight with money.an he has been breeding reg beefmasters for almost 30yrs.an he says i can get top end herd bulls for $1500 to $2500.an i told him i didnt want cheap bulls that wont throw good calves.an he said dont worry the bull you get will be a good bull.now he runs 150 reg cows plus breeding age an weaned heifers.so he runs 5 bulls,an when he buys bulls he buys the best he can get.the last 2 he bought he aved $2000 or less on them.because he buys bulls in the off season.

Since I sell all my calves at weaning, the determining factor is growth. If one bull will sire calves that wean 100 lbs heavier than another bull, it won't take but a small trailer load of calves to make up a $1000 difference in the price of the two bulls. Of course it's a whole other ballgame if you're trying to produce breeding stock.

Just a general statement here fellas coming from a seedstock point of view.

If you are willing to GET this years prices for your weaners, why do you think a seedstock producer should GET last years prices for his bulls?

Especially you Bigbull you say you run Reg cows why wouldn't you want to put the very best bull on them that you can afford. If your buddy bought HERD BULL quality bulls last year for $2000 I bet he doesn't get those prices again this year.

3waycross":2vb15det said:

If you are willing to GET this years prices for your weaners, why do you think a seedstock producer should GET last years prices for his bulls?

Especially you Bigbull you say you run Reg cows why wouldn't you want to put the very best bull on them that you can afford. If your buddy bought HERD BULL quality bulls last year for $2000 I bet he doesn't get those prices again this year.
from a commercial mans standpoint and i understand what your saying... though the calf price's sound great and could be worse,,but when you figure in all other cost now fuel, fertilzer etc.. your still running neck and neck just like last year

With cow-calf pair prices the way they are, we're planning on spending over $5000 on a registered bull from a reputable breeder. We figure then, with a name behind the herd bull, the natural calves will be worth more when it's time to sell heifers and bulls.

There is another thread on the boards where 2000 pound bulls are bringing just short of a buck. If you want to skimp on what you pay for your bulls, go for it. However, the prices you are talking are barely above slaughter price. Nobody likes spending big bucks for a bull but you spend what you have to to get a bull that pleases you.

showing71":fcki698z said:
With cow-calf pair prices the way they are, we're planning on spending over $5000 on a registered bull from a reputable breeder. We figure then, with a name behind the herd bull, the natural calves will be worth more when it's time to sell heifers and bulls.

just a friendly piece of advice: learn about risk-management before you go broke spending money you don't need to.

AI shoots that theory in the foot. why would you pay $5000 for the son of a top tier bull for your program when you can use the original for $20-30/head using AI?

I am cheap and lazy so i am not willing to do much AI because of the demand on resources, but if you are willing to put that much into something that could fall over dead the day he gets home, just go AI and retain a son from your own cows that are better adapted to your environment and management.

Well I know enough about beefmasters to be dangerous, Question is what are your base cows out of? Does color matter to you? Do you have a lot of replacements from another herd sire? How many cows? EPD of the bulls,

With all of that, my personal belief and experience Black on Black beefmaster does not work, negative EPD bulls do not work. Genetics has a lot to do with what makes you the most money. Some bulls produce animals with a lot of bone while other generate more meat, more meat more money. SOme of the best Bulls I have seen lately are from Old Sires on newer model females.
Me I run a Spartcus son out of a Onyx(best black out there) by L2 Victors Sister Daughter.

Just to think about.

There is no real formula for calculating the true cost of using a certain bull. But make the wrong choice and it can be very costly for years to come. Even though the bull is only one animal he is 50% of the herd, and that makes any selection important.

From the standpoint of a seedstock producer, what increased value can a bull provide to seedstock sales?

From the commercial producer, the bottom line (PROFIT). What increased pounds of weight does it take to make up the difference on the price of the bull. How many seasons can you use the bull? Certainly more if you are using him as a terminal bull.

Seedstock producers range in size from small to large. If genetics are about the same or equal, does paying more for a comparable bull from a big name breeder make sense?

AI is a great way to go, but again look at what semen prices are. Many of the top bull are $30 or higher and if you have to purchase AI Certificates, factor in conception rates, labor rates, and a $4500 bull if he is really good isn't so expensive.

I have spoke to several extension people the last week or so and they are having a hard time with producers that are unwilling to pay over $1000 for a bull. They want top dollar for their calves when they sell, but are unwilling to pay to get the calves to command the price.

Aero":8ugtvzdm said:
showing71":8ugtvzdm said:

just a friendly piece of advice: learn about risk-management before you go broke spending money you don't need to.

AI shoots that theory in the foot. why would you pay $5000 for the son of a top tier bull for your program when you can use the original for $20-30/head using AI?

I am cheap and lazy so i am not willing to do much AI because of the demand on resources, but if you are willing to put that much into something that could fall over dead the day he gets home, just go AI and retain a son from your own cows that are better adapted to your environment and management.
We already AI almost everything on our place. But when the cows don't stick, I want a bull that will produce calves that are just as good as the AI calves. When we're selling registered bulls and heifers to other breeders, they want stuff with a pedigree. Bulls at breeder sales around here are averaging $3000-$4000. So in order to buy one of the best bulls at these sales, I'll have to spend more. I do not buy a high priced bull just to say I can. They go under a microscope, looking at EPDs, phenotype, and their pedigrees, especially their dams. I need a herd bull that is going to move my program forward, and to do that I will have to pay more.

The average Hereford Bull sold for $3,345 in 2010. Already in 2011 900 Hereford bulls have averaged $4,534 and we haven't even had Holden, Cooper, and Star Lake sale in the mix yet. I think this shows
What's going on in the industry. I am sure the other breed sales are up as well. Quality sells

I bought a 2 1/2 year old Hereford in January for 2500. I lucked up and got a deal. A couple of us went up and bought four together so the guy cut us a deal.

circlew":3l92huol said:
I bought a 2 1/2 year old Hereford in January for 2500. I lucked up and got a deal. A couple of us went up and bought four together so the guy cut us a deal.
horned or polled,, i buy off the farm, private treaty

3waycross said:

Especially you Bigbull you say you run Reg cows why wouldn't you want to put the very best bull on them that you can afford. If your buddy bought HERD BULL quality bulls last year for $2000 I bet he doesn't get those prices again this year.[/quo
if you think im cheap when it comes to buying bulls your wrong.i dont have no prob buying a $3000 or $4000 bull.neither does my friend,i think it was 2yrs ago he paid $5000 for a bull.he is just very smart around the sales,an knows what he is doing.if he bothers going to the sale he will get something he wants weather its 1 or a trailer load.i buy smart not high just because i can.

Latest posts