• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Herbs

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
5,354
Reaction score
24
Location
South Africa
There are at least 4 herbs that i can't do without,well suppose i could but food just wouldn't be the same.They should preferably be fresh-
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme
Sweet basil
Does anybody feel the way i do about their herbs?
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,541
Reaction score
106
Location
Heart of Texas
alisonb":rb2wj8mm said:
There are at least 4 herbs that i can't do without,well suppose i could but food just wouldn't be the same.They should preferably be fresh-
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme
Sweet basil
Does anybody feel the way i do about their herbs?

We have a "bush" of rosemary...must be 3 ft tall and 4 ft. across...you ride by it with the lawn mower and you smell like the stuff the rest of the day. I've learned to hate it. :lol2: As for cooking....I can get along with just salt, pepper and sometimes some garlic.
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
I love the fresh herbs. I've got several growing and have just planted some more. Nothing better than fresh off the bush!
 
OP
alisonb

alisonb

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
5,354
Reaction score
24
Location
South Africa
I make a 'wild' salad that goes down very nicely on a hot summers day-
Tomato(cherry)
Spring onions
Celery
Olives
Feta cheese
Rocket
Butter lettuce
Tarragon
Mint
Gerkins
Sprinkle with olive oil,lemon juice,peri peri powder and black pepper.One can make a main meal of it by adding tuna,fried beef/chicken strips in it and folding it in a wrap or pita bread.
TexasBred":3ksxxw18 said:
We have a "bush" of rosemary...must be 3 ft tall and 4 ft. across...you ride by it with the lawn mower and you smell like the stuff the rest of the day. I've learned to hate it.
TexasBred-i think you may have an aversion to mowing the lawn :nod:
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
alisonb":1zygxrlm said:
I make a 'wild' salad that goes down very nicely on a hot summers day-
Tomato(cherry)
Spring onions
Celery
Olives
Feta cheese
Rocket
Butter lettuce
Tarragon
Mint
Gerkins
Sprinkle with olive oil,lemon juice,peri peri powder and black pepper.One can make a main meal of it by adding tuna,fried beef/chicken strips in it and folding it in a wrap or pita bread.
TexasBred":1zygxrlm said:
We have a "bush" of rosemary...must be 3 ft tall and 4 ft. across...you ride by it with the lawn mower and you smell like the stuff the rest of the day. I've learned to hate it.
TexasBred-i think you may have an aversion to mowing the lawn :nod:

I don't think it's aversion to lawn mowing, it's an aversion to smelling like that thing all day. That be nice just don't wash off...
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,925
Reaction score
0
Location
Alberta, Canada
Alison , I too love sweet basil, thyme ,oregano, parsley, cumin, cilantro ......I could go on and on. If I cannot find it fresh I buy the pastes it is better than the dry spices.

They make a meal taste great. Cumin on pork is really nice, it brings out a natural mild flavor.

A few herbs and fresh ground pepper are the bomb.. :)

I am not a sage fan unless it is in stuffing .. :nod:

The best grilled salmon is a small pat of butter, fresh ground pepper and a few sprigs of cilantro.

I like curry in a few dishes as well, especially my meatballs ; but it has to be Indonesian curry, not the other..
 
OP
alisonb

alisonb

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
5,354
Reaction score
24
Location
South Africa
HD you really had me there with the cilantro :???: (thought is was a magic new herb), we know it as corriander here and use it mainly for curries.Speaking of which, soak a handful of fresh ground nuts overnight,chop and add them to your curry-scrumptious! Am not too fond of sage or marjoram,perhaps with chicken stuffing but can be a bit overbearing.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,291
Reaction score
63
Location
Central Texas
alisonb":12pz81vn said:
HD you really had me there with the cilantro :???: (thought is was a magic new herb), we know it as corriander here and use it mainly for curries.Speaking of which, soak a handful of fresh ground nuts overnight,chop and add them to your curry-scrumptious! Am not too fond of sage or marjoram,perhaps with chicken stuffing but can be a bit overbearing.
Corriander is the "fruit" of the plant. Cilantro are the leaves. Two very different flavors.
 

Latest posts

Top