Herbicides - Generic vs Name Brand

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
When using one of the generic herbicides that is claimed to be "the same as ............) compare the actual percentage of the ingredients.
I can buy Honcho and Gly-4 for 10% less then Roundup, the catch is you have to use 15% MORE of them to equal Roundup. Clear Pasture is so close to Remedy (but cheaper) that you can mix it the same. I don;t know about any of the others but it will sure pay to check to mixing directions for the products that are claimed to be the same.

We have several local options to roundup and all of them are the same 41% with the same mixing instructions. Most work the same as roundup.

grannysoo":341oarbe said:
We have several local options to roundup and all of them are the same 41% with the same mixing instructions. Most work the same as roundup.

Some do but many of them don;t. That's why it pays to double check. I mixed honco and sprayed 20 acres with it, grass didn;t even get pale. Checked the ingredients and found out its 15% less glyphosate then roundup. Wasting the herbicide was bad enough, but wasting the diesel to spray the 20 acres is what really gets my goat.
Just a reminder to check labels and mixing directions.

yes make sure you check labels because some of the glyphosate is NOT labeled for soybeans,it is the cheaper stuff and its only for burndowns,the companies have waste to get rid of and this is where it goes

dun":3065faiu said:
When using one of the generic herbicides that is claimed to be "the same as ............) compare the actual percentage of the ingredients.
I can buy Honcho and Gly-4 for 10% less then Roundup, the catch is you have to use 15% MORE of them to equal Roundup. Clear Pasture is so close to Remedy (but cheaper) that you can mix it the same. I don;t know about any of the others but it will sure pay to check to mixing directions for the products that are claimed to be the same.
My Gly 4 mix is the same % as roundup it isn't the same as roundup ultra but is the same 41%glyphosate as reg roundup and I mix it the same and have the same results

I've used several different generic Roundups, and they were all the same 41% . Work just as well if not better.

Heard yesterday that there is a generic Grazon P+D (?) that is good for broadleaf weeds, but cheaper and requires no license to buy and use. The guy couldn't remember the name of it.

Monsanto roundup is 6 pound material, their is a few 5# brands but not many, most of the generics are 4#. We put a pound to the acre per application so it's either 1-6, 1-5, or 1-4. Until last year their was only $.71 an acre difference in price between Monsanto and generic and Monsanto had a much better guarantee than the others plus if you had to replant they would only repay the tech fee if you used their product. Since then things have changed and we use much more generic. 6# material is $60 a gallon and generic is $23.50 a gallon.

I mix our generic a little stronger than they call for just in case, and still come out ahead instead of buying the more expensive name brands.
The main problem I have is that you have to order early around here as they bring in a limited amount of generic and if you do not have yours ordered and set away for you by mid April you miss out and have to buy the expensive brands.

We are so very late this year that nothing has turned green to spray yet though..

We were actually able to by the real Roundup this year. Believe it or not, we got it cheaper than we could the generic. Bought a 30 gallon drum of it from Southern States for less than $24.00 per gallon.

Latest posts