Herbicide update

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes I do. I couldn't buy the chemicals I wanted with out it so I had no choice. I took my classes and test at the Blackland Income Growth conference held annually in Waco. Cost about $40 and they fed you lunch. It takes about six hours. License is good for five years and during that time you need to take 15 hours of continuing education to renew. I renewed mine in January. The Agrilife folks have different classes throughout the year so you can pick something that is beneficial to your operation to get your ceu's.

Hubby is a Certified Crop Advisor & is licensed. Crossbow works great on woody plants - trees, multifloral rose, etc. Spike also is good for trees/brush.
Question - what do you use for the blue dye??? I spray thistles & would love to SEE where I've been!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":f28m8iwj said:
Question - what do you use for the blue dye??? I spray thistles & would love to SEE where I've been!
Good question! I've used about everything I could think of for a dye and P-poor results. The best was an entire package of RIT in 2 gallons of spray

I also have use the RIT dye in many different colors. None work very well so I went back to the expensive stuff. Blue seems to show up the best when first applied but none of them will be visible a few days later. What I have done on cactus is to spray a spot of something on the ground close by such as a piece of wood or a dried cow patty. Mesquite almost always has tall dead grass under it that the cows can't get to so a little over spray on it will usually hold color for a few days to a week. After a week you can usually tell which plants have been sprayed as they will start to yellow. For me the dye is to help keep track of where I am at on a large plant since it is crucial to cover all exposed surface of the cactus at least on one side.

bird dog":t076emb1 said:
I also have use the RIT dye in many different colors. None work very well so I went back to the expensive stuff.
That's why I tried RIT, I'm too cheap er frugal to use the expensive stuff

Thanks, I'll check it out. I want to know - as I'm spraying - because you lose tract of which plants got it. I KNOW by next day - if sunny & hot, can know after maybe 6 hours. I mix up a potent batch - usually 24D with Crossbow with a surfactant with some little granules that I only use 1/2 a capfull for 25 gallons. (I mean my husband does - I couldn't do that - I'm not licensed). :banana:

LRTX1":bw9i27hk said:
What kind of surfactant are yall using. I've used cheap dish soap with pretty good results. I'm just a little tight....lol
I think we've all probably used it at one time or another. Sometimes out of necessity.

TexasBred":33y9elxd said:
LRTX1":33y9elxd said:
What kind of surfactant are yall using. I've used cheap dish soap with pretty good results. I'm just a little tight....lol
I think we've all probably used it at one time or another. Sometimes out of necessity.

I have good surfactants and then some that were not so good. Palmolive dish soap seems to be better than some of the lessor store bought surfactants. Hence, at this point it is a sure bet to work as far as I am concerned.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1awg5ugg said:
Thanks, I'll check it out. I want to know - as I'm spraying - because you lose tract of which plants got it. I KNOW by next day - if sunny & hot, can know after maybe 6 hours. I mix up a potent batch - usually 24D with Crossbow with a surfactant with some little granules that I only use 1/2 a capfull for 25 gallons. (I mean my husband does - I couldn't do that - I'm not licensed). :banana:
Why are you adding 2-4D to crossbow???

did you ever ask your husband about the remedy??

Remdy and 2-4D mixed is essentially the same product as crossbow but for 1/3 of the cost

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ux79jkj said:

What are the "little granules"?

If they are a Sulfonylurea like Ally then you can struggle to get a good broadleaf like clover or Alfalfa to grow for a couple of years!

Remedy is not legal in NY - he can't get it.
2-4D will knock down thistle, but they have a way of always flowering anyway. If I'm going to take the time to kill them - I KILL THEM!!!! Complete burn down, no coming back.
The granules are DuPont Express.
All of the above kills clover - but I am using the wand & spot spraying - not boom spraying - except the yard - we don't want clover to grow - just grass. But, I have burned my grass :shock:
He tells me how much - I "glug glug" extra :banana:
Just like cooking recipes - I always say I'm not a dolly domestic.

One day hubby came home & said he was soooo tired. I asked what he did all day & he said he's been READING LABELS :shock: I'm thinking OK, that's tough! But, I found out labels are BOOKS!!!!
He's the Guru of fertilizer & chemicals for county's around. I don't retain all the goobliegop info - I just know I can KILL WEEDS.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":376wfe70 said:
Remedy is not legal in NY - he can't get it.
2-4D will knock down thistle, but they have a way of always flowering anyway. If I'm going to take the time to kill them - I KILL THEM!!!! Complete burn down, no coming back.
The granules are DuPont Express.
All of the above kills clover - but I am using the wand & spot spraying - not boom spraying - except the yard - we don't want clover to grow - just grass. But, I have burned my grass :shock:
He tells me how much - I "glug glug" extra :banana:
Just like cooking recipes - I always say I'm not a dolly domestic.

One day hubby came home & said he was soooo tired. I asked what he did all day & he said he's been READING LABELS :shock: I'm thinking OK, that's tough! But, I found out labels are BOOKS!!!!
He's the Guru of fertilizer & chemicals for county's around. I don't retain all the goobliegop info - I just know I can KILL WEEDS.
thats all that matters ;-)

dun":1qu0dph7 said:
bird dog":1qu0dph7 said:
I also have use the RIT dye in many different colors. None work very well so I went back to the expensive stuff.
That's why I tried RIT, I'm too cheap er frugal to use the expensive stuff
Haven't ever done it, but I just had a bright idea....marking paint (the upside down spray paints used in construction) Spray a spot of folage near the plant you just treated....

Latest posts