Herbicide update

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog":2gxb73p2 said:
The Agrilife folks have different classes throughout the year so you can pick something that is beneficial to your operation to get your ceu's.

You can also do the majority of your CEU's online. I don't remember the specifics but one of the required topics for renewal must be in face to face class.....or at least that was true a couple of years ago when we renewed ours.

I understand that getting an applicator's license is relatively simple, but according to the regs that I've read, you're supposed to keep very detailed records every time you use it. You're supposed to record the amount, mixture, brand and model# of sprayer, type of weeds, density of target weed per acre or square foot, area sprayed, flow rate per acre, ambient temperature, wind direction, wind speed, ALL KINDS of stuff. Do you people actually DO this? Does anybody ever ask for this data?

We don't keep track of anything like that on our farm. Don't know anyone that does. I'll have to ask hubby about that.
Hubby is plant manager of fertilizer/chemical company and they have to keep tract of what town/county each and every ounce of product goes to. And is audited.
Edit: I just came in from spraying 25 gallons. It was just slightly windy - 82 degrees (same concoction I described above!!!) Gonna have a few wilting thistles tomorrow :banana: and wild parsnip - new noxious weed invading all the roadsides.

Ruark":25tpa2uo said:
I understand that getting an applicator's license is relatively simple, but according to the regs that I've read, you're supposed to keep very detailed records every time you use it. You're supposed to record the amount, mixture, brand and model# of sprayer, type of weeds, density of target weed per acre or square foot, area sprayed, flow rate per acre, ambient temperature, wind direction, wind speed, ALL KINDS of stuff. Do you people actually DO this? Does anybody ever ask for this data?
How lucky do you feel? Texas Department of Agriculture does spot checks for ceu's and also spot audits of records if you have been using restricted use pestricides. THey don't have enough manpower to check everyone. THe feds (EPA) are forcing the detailed records.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2vuf5bec said:
Thanks, I'll check it out. I want to know - as I'm spraying - because you lose tract of which plants got it. I KNOW by next day - if sunny & hot, can know after maybe 6 hours. I mix up a potent batch - usually 24D with Crossbow with a surfactant with some little granules that I only use 1/2 a capfull for 25 gallons. (I mean my husband does - I couldn't do that - I'm not licensed). :banana:
I'll bet the granules are ammonium sulfate

user1":29r9zgcv said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":29r9zgcv said:
Thanks, I'll check it out. I want to know - as I'm spraying - because you lose tract of which plants got it. I KNOW by next day - if sunny & hot, can know after maybe 6 hours. I mix up a potent batch - usually 24D with Crossbow with a surfactant with some little granules that I only use 1/2 a capfull for 25 gallons. (I mean my husband does - I couldn't do that - I'm not licensed). :banana:
I'll bet the granules are ammonium sulfate
As I mentioned - it is DuPont Express [Tribenuron methyl methylaminojcarbonyl - amino - sulfonyl - benzoate] You tell me what it is!