Herbicide update

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
Just an update on what I'm doing with some Remedy on my place.

Looks like I found a good cactus killer! I sprayed a couple of patches of cactus (prickly pear) experimentally with a 25/75 mix of Remedy and diesel about a week and a half ago. It really walloped it. 90% of it has already turned a faded yellowish-whitish color.

I foliar sprayed several small mesquites with a mix of 1 oz/gal + 1oz/gal surfactant (Top Surf). Killed them deader than dead in 2-4 weeks. I also used this on thorny briar vines - the kind that grow straight up out of the ground and are tougher than steel wire. It killed them dead also, but took about 6 weeks.

The cedars that were sprayed (same 1 oz/gal mix) are still browned, and still have some scattered bright green tips on some of the limbs. The only cedars that this completely killed were small ones under about 3 feet. The jury's still out on the bigger ones.

Last week I basal sprayed some bigger cedars and mesquites (about 10 feet tall/wide) with the 25/75 Remedy/Diesel mix. I'm anxiously waiting to see some results. I have a BUNCH of 10-12 foot cedars that are too big to spray, and a major headache to cut down. Just one gives you a truckload of limbs, and cutting off the main trunk at ground level will dull a brand new chainsaw blade after just 4 or 5 of them. Cedar is murder on chainsaw blades. Right now I just want to KILL them to stop them from growing and/or reproducing.

Comments, responses, are welcome.

TexasBred":6qlvd42f said:
With it's last ounce of enegy and life that cactus will put out a new pad and start growing.

Well, now that would be a surprise, because this ol' cactus looks like it's going somewhere and not comin' back....

Yeah, Spike would work, but I'm not sure it's ever going to rain again.

Ruark":29fszm84 said:
TexasBred":29fszm84 said:
With it's last ounce of enegy and life that cactus will put out a new pad and start growing.

Well, now that would be a surprise, because this ol' cactus looks like it's going somewhere and not comin' back....

Yeah, Spike would work, but I'm not sure it's ever going to rain again.
Oh course if you haul it off !!! Betcha it'll sprout where ever you dump it.

Not sure why you want to spend money on diesel....water would work just fine.....about 1% remedy. Folar spraying mesquites with diesel will fool you...it will take out the top growth till it resprouts. Only way I know how to explaine it is the diesel knocks the leaf off before enough transference of chemical can be transfered to the roots... You will most likely be spraying it again... I think I see similar with a water based folar spray. I'm assuming what I'm fighting now has a root structure is much larger than the tops so I can not enough chemical transfered to get a knockout kill. Using to much chemical seems to do about the same. In other words a slow death is a sure death.

Save the diesel to treat stumps and do basil treatments...

I think that Texasbred is right.

This year we are spraying wild roses with Pasturegard mixed with water. They are dying and look different than they did when using a diesel mix.

Last time we sprayed, my husband mixed with diesel and it didn't kill the roots. Everything above the ground died and the plants came back with a vengeance (bigger than ever) this spring.

Of course it is so dry that the plants absorb every little bit of moisture.

I've sprayed what we call prickly pear cactus quite a few times. Seems to kill what you get the poison on but still it will manage to put out one little sprout before it dies completely. The old plant dies and rots. The new littel sprout takes root and we start all over again. Dug a few up, piled them, soaked them with diesel and set them afrire. Burned great and the pads began to explode like redneck fireworks. :lol:

chippie":23xx8t95 said:
I think that Texasbred is right.

This year we are spraying wild roses with Pasturegard mixed with water. They are dying and look different than they did when using a diesel mix.

Last time we sprayed, my husband mixed with diesel and it didn't kill the roots. Everything above the ground died and the plants came back with a vengeance (bigger than ever) this spring.

Of course it is so dry that the plants absorb every little bit of moisture.
Which is exactly the reason for using water for foliar and diesel for basal. If you want the water to "stick" better, use a surfactant

dun":3frjdows said:
user1":3frjdows said:
Are you using diesel as a surfactant.
Diesel isn;t a surfactant.
I know it isn', but I was wondering if someone thought they could replace it for a surfactant. I could not think of any reason to use diesel, so was taking a shot in the dark.

user1":3dqn8wv3 said:
dun":3dqn8wv3 said:
user1":3dqn8wv3 said:
Are you using diesel as a surfactant.
Diesel isn;t a surfactant.
I know it isn', but I was wondering if someone thought they could replace it for a surfactant. I could not think of any reason to use diesel, so was taking a shot in the dark.
It WILL give you the look that the stuff is sticking well. Problem is it also burns the leaves so that they don;t absorb the herbicide worht a hoot.

i suspect that you will find people trying different things to save a buck. i might try a trick but it still has to pass my agronomist. He has been around enough to know different mixes that work. But he doesn't do anything that isn't pass the label muster.

You need to use Tordon 22K on your prickly pear. Mix it with water and a surfactant. Diesel is not needed and won't really help. Put a blue dye in the water to help you with your coverage as you need to cover every leaf and flower. Wait nine months to a year and go back and spray the ones you missed and any new growth that you have. If you do it correctly you won't have much. Wait another nine months or so and repeat the process. Do not disturb them during this process. Most will die and not come back. I think the fall is the best time to do start this but you can do it year round. I sprayed mine on a dry day in the winter when the grass is real short and they are easier to spot in your pasture. I was surprised on how good it worked and I wonder why more people don't do it. It is simple and quick to apply but the wait for results is long. Patience is a virtue here. A gallon of Tordon will go a long way.

You have to have a license to buy it, not to use it. The person buying it is responsible for you using it correctly. It is hard to screw up spraying prickly pear if you can read directions. Vett is right though, you need to get a license. It is a simple process that can be completed in one day and you might actually learn something.

bird dog":3dfx6wfo said:
You have to have a license to buy it, not to use it. The person buying it is responsible for you using it correctly. It is hard to screw up spraying prickly pear if you can read directions. Vett is right though, you need to get a license. It is a simple process that can be completed in one day and you might actually learn something.

That's different than where I'm at. Here you need a license to buy it or use it.

Latest posts