Henry Homesteader

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
This looks like fun.

The Homesteader is available as three different models to cater to your 9mm magazine preferences right out of the box thanks to its interchangeable magazine well, providing compatibility for Glock®, SIG Sauer®, and Smith & Wesson® M&P® magazines. No matter which version you choose, a Henry 5-round and 10-round magazine are included in every box to get you up and running.

This looks like fun.
No matter which version you choose, a Henry 5-round and 10-round magazine are included in every box to get you up and running.
What I know of Texas I learned watching Family Guy.
In Texas, Brian goes into liquor store and buys a bottle of whiskey. Cowboy looking clerk...
Clerk: "Here's your bottle" and laying a pistol on the counter, "and here's your gun."
Brian: "What?
Clerk: "Buy a bottle of whiskey, get a gun."
Brian: "Is this some sort of special promotion?
Clerk: "Nope, Texas state law."
:)

This looks like fun.

The Homesteader is available as three different models to cater to your 9mm magazine preferences right out of the box thanks to its interchangeable magazine well, providing compatibility for Glock®, SIG Sauer®, and Smith & Wesson® M&P® magazines. No matter which version you choose, a Henry 5-round and 10-round magazine are included in every box to get you up and running.
I've been looking for a lever action 357 but they are scarce as hen's teeth. I like this, but still prefer 357.

Never had hold of one yet. Have a NIB Henry 410 that I have never tried. I just like the looks and feel of it.
I'm well covered with 9mm for in house work. I would probably be more interested in a 44 mag were I to
consider acquiring one. They are cute little buggers!

The advantage to nine mm would be cheap and plentiful ammo. 9mm advantage would end there as it's very efficient in burning it's powder up in a short pistol length barrel. Some 9mm loads will actually start to lose velocity in a carbine length barrel.
I just don't see an advantage over a good 22LR or 22mag.
This is nothing new Marlin had one out in the 90's in 9mm and 45acp.

I changed from anti personnel to FMJ on the house gun (9mm) as I wanted to be able to send a message through the wall.
And that's all I'm going to say about that....
Unnecessary considering that the average 9mm JHP load actually out-competes M193 5.56mm ball ammo in drywall and stick frame penetration. And that puts me in mind of something.

I'm going to hop on a soap box here and probably catch lots of hate since all rural people are into guns and have an opinion but if qualifications matter I spent 8 years of my life teaching on rifles, carbines, handguns, grenade launchers and belt fed weapons and combative shooting in addition to working for a gun range at one point and also running a side thing where I teach firearms, defense and safety to regular joes.

There is nothing you can shoot in a house with a fully reliable one shot stop rating that won't penetrate drywall and stick frame housing. The more important thing to know is where you shouldn't shoot unless direly necessary in a house. For instance, I have the spaces where my girls' beds are outlined on the walls outside of their rooms at all sides. That's a shot only to be taken if it's life or death here and now. And as such, I use appropriate loads for damage mitigation, but over penetration is always a factor. It's one of the four main rules of firearm safety, knowing your target and what's beyond it. Better than any plans to use a pet load to try and skirt physics or trying to shoot through walls LVR style is having a home defense plan that everyone in the house knows and knows their role in. Don't hunt people in your house if you don't have to. It's your house, you know where everything is. Have someone on the phone with 911 while you cover the most critical point with consideration of background. The best way to win a gunfight is to keep one from happening, the second best is to shoot thoracic cavity or center of mass with the best gun you can bring. If you keep a rifle with an optic for home defense, practice close range HOB shooting, it matters. Have fun and be safe, y'all.

The advantage to nine mm would be cheap and plentiful ammo. 9mm advantage would end there as it's very efficient in burning it's powder up in a short pistol length barrel. Some 9mm loads will actually start to lose velocity in a carbine length barrel.
The barrel length on this plinking gun isn't long enough to make that much of a difference. Hi-Point has had a 9mm Carbine out for decades and so have several other companies. The gun was made for fun, as any Henry rifle enthusiast will tell you. And it was made to be easier to stash in the UTV, truck, or 4 wheeler, and it's easier to shoot than a shotgun.

It has a cool feature in its operation. It is a simple blow back, meaning the weight of the breech bolt and the strength of the recoil spring control the recoil and prevent the breech from opening when pressures are high. Easy enough to achieve with low calibers like 22 - 32. However, most 9mm need more to be safely fired. So Henry added a sliding weight to the forearm to help control it. It also reduces muzzle flip. This gun will be popular with the cowboy action shooters and hobbyists. It was never meant to be a competition precision gun or a self defense rifle. That's like taking a pickup truck to compete in NASCAR.

Also a 357 Magnum, although more powerful, is a rimmed cartridge, so cycling it through a semi-auto rifle is difficult, due to the extraction. Rimmed cartridges were made for revolvers and the rim holds it on the chamber. A few gun companies make lever action guns that will shoot 357 Magnum, but those are not semi-auto.

The barrel length on this plinking gun isn't long enough to make that much of a difference. Hi-Point has had a 9mm Carbine out for decades and so have several other companies. The gun was made for fun, as any Henry rifle enthusiast will tell you. And it was made to be easier to stash in the UTV, truck, or 4 wheeler, and it's easier to shoot than a shotgun.

It has a cool feature in its operation. It is a simple blow back, meaning the weight of the breech bolt and the strength of the recoil spring control the recoil and prevent the breech from opening when pressures are high. Easy enough to achieve with low calibers like 22 - 32. However, most 9mm need more to be safely fired. So Henry added a sliding weight to the forearm to help control it. It also reduces muzzle flip. This gun will be popular with the cowboy action shooters and hobbyists. It was never meant to be a competition precision gun or a self defense rifle. That's like taking a pickup truck to compete in NASCAR.

Also a 357 Magnum, although more powerful, is a rimmed cartridge, so cycling it through a semi-auto rifle is difficult, due to the extraction. Rimmed cartridges were made for revolvers and the rim holds it on the chamber. A few gun companies make lever action guns that will shoot 357 Magnum, but those are not semi-auto.
You should buy two.