Hen House Theif

Help Support CattleToday:

SimmAngus

Reaction score
We lost 7 laying chickens last night. Something got in and ate the heads off then left the bodies! Wondering if anyone has ant ideas what it may be and suggestions on trapping or poisons. We live in South Dakota, waterway is about 1/2 mile away but frozen. We are thinking it might be a mink, but any suggestions would be appreciated. AND Yes I know this is a cattle board!!!

Oh THAT'S nice......yet one more thing to worry about getting into my hen house...never heard of that! What a darned waste!

Do we have weasels around here? I know the skunks have been bad the last couple years, but, I thought they were vegetarians too?!? Could it have been a neighbors dog? Mine seems to prefer to eat the heads off her prey and leave the body on the lawn for me to dispose of. :x Coons should be hibrinating so process of elimination here!

Thanks everone, I just finished setting several ledhold traps. I'm pretty sure it's not a dog, no way for one to get in, plus I don't think a dog would just take the heads off. I thought skunks hibernated through the winter, but I guess maybe not. We're thinking at this point, skunk, weasel, martin or mink. Hope to know tomorrow morning! Again thanks everyone.

Skunks and coons are still runnin' down here. I have caught skunks around when the chickens were there but their heads were gone. :cry: :(

We don't have weasles but I'll vouch for Ruby in that skunks will do that. Down here anyway. Sometimes the heads will still on but they've had the blood sucked out of their bodies.

Craig-TX

Geez- I had NO idea skunks were vampires!!! Well, I guess I have never really thought about what a skunk eats. I just know that I don't like them and shoot them whenever I get a chance.

Geez- I had NO idea skunks were vampires!!! Well, I guess I have never really thought about what a skunk eats. I just know that I don't like them and shoot them whenever I get a chance.

I hope that you stay far enough away when you shoot them not to get sprayed...Dad got his truck sprayed and even after a wash, it smelled for about a week. But, it doesn't beat the time that one of my cousins were in the barn while we were stacking hay and he thought one was a nice kitty cat!

I don't know about SD but here in MO, the coons never hibernate. Matter of fact I'm going hunting tonight. Season is over the 15th. Our local coons don't mess with chickens too much anyway, sometimes eggs, but not usually the old hen herself. They will catch and eat chicks though, as well as baby turkeys.

I don't know about weasel's but skunks are out in full force right now, breeding season I guess.

El_Putzo":3dpxwqc2 said:
skunks are out in full force right now, breeding season I guess.

Last year I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the kids started hollering. STOP, STOP. Don't run over the kitty family! Little did the kids know...there was no way I was running over that bunch of kitties!!!

I am usually far..far away when I pop one (Well, expect that ONE time when a momma and her litter were in the well house, she wasn't comming out alive, and let me tell ya, tomato juice just don't work! - Speaking from experience here! It is hard as hell to take a bath in a bucket on the front porch 'cause you ain't allowed in the house smelling like that) :lol2:

Don't think I've ever had a weasel get in with our hens, but once found a headless hen in the chicken yard (my husband said owls do that). I see a lot of dead skunds on the road but have never seen one here on the farm, don't want to either. Fairly lucky here with not too many predators (kiss of death saying that, I guess)...or maybe the donkeys keep them away? Hawks seem to pick off a bantam hen here and there (never the roosters though and I've got too many of them!)...
Gale

hey putzo! in mo. those coons will wipe out your whole chicken coop if you don't kill them. my son finally got them stopped for a while. i live between two creeks & now & then they get one of mine.

Well those that guessed Skunk win the prize! Pulled into the yard and knew what I had trapped before I even drove past the house. Gave him a lead eviction notice..... now wait for the stench to drift away, chickens don't seem to notice ;)