Hematoma vs. Abcess vs. Lump Jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Got a question. My little bull was messing with the cow trying to get her bred the other night. I went to bed and he looked good, woke up the next day and he has a huge lump on the side of his face. I had seen her rejecting his advances and I think he may have gotten a horn to the face, but I'm also concerned that it may be an abcess. Here's some pertinent info:
He acts, and is as active as before.
Eats like before.
Drinks like before.

My wife is a googler and came across lump jaw. From what I could online that is formed from a chronic abcess, and the pictures I saw included some skulls that had noticeable boney remodeling meaning the jaw was deformed (the bone looked swollen and had the appearence of swiss cheese). Because of that I'm ruling it out pretty much, but I just wanted to ask to be sure as it means the end of the animal.

Thanks guys and gals!

You are correct in that Lump jaw will involve the bone.
An abscess may start out hard, but will eventually develop a softer pit or pimple spot that will either ooze or rupture. If it opens inside the mouth, you may not notice. Flushing out the infection with dilute Betadine is most effective. But you need to find the cause. (Sticker, wire, tooth ect.)
Hematoma can stay hard and even just wall off in there.

One of your best determining factors is the animals temp and feel. Running a temp quickly rules out a hematoma. Feel for a soft spot that would like to open. Usually no antibiotics until it does, and you get it flushed out and keep it open.

OK, one more question that I just thought of. If it is an abcess, would he be less interested in eating and drinking compared to normal?

Thanks

Being that he's, otherwise, normal------active, drinking,eating, etc. without actually laying my eyes on him, I'd say it sounds like he got clocked in the face.

If it is an abcess, depending on its size and location, he may or may not have loss of appetite or desire to drink.

Bestoutwest":gx23fp9f said:
Got a question. My little bull was messing with the cow trying to get her bred the other night. I went to bed and he looked good, woke up the next day and he has a huge lump on the side of his face. I had seen her rejecting his advances and I think he may have gotten a horn to the face....
I'm not a fan of horns.
Seems to me they injure other cattle (and sometimes people) more often than any other purpose.

Latest posts