Helping Strangers

Help Support CattleToday:

I think it is satisfying to the soul and I know there are angels among us. So whose to say who you might be helping.

But I have learned, if they ask for food - I give food not money. It also surprises me how many people turn down your offer of help when there is no folding money involved.

you put a beautiful girl out there with a flat tire, she will never have to change it , you put the average person out there with a flat tire they will change it themselves. the law of man's nature, he don't think with his brain

cowboy44":2we6spfx said:
you put a beautiful girl out there with a flat tire, she will never have to change it , you put the average person out there with a flat tire they will change it themselves. the law of man's nature, he don't think with his brain

I'll remember to avoid lockhart tx

cowboy44":1oi0j3b4 said:

Thats funny. My wife had a flat tire on the innerstate a while back and four guys in seperate cars stopped to change it. She thinks they were just being nice. She is sort of naive about things like that sometime. :roll:

I have never had a flat tire that someone didn't stop to help. In fact, when we were on our honeymoon, Steve ran us out of gas in the Blazer hauling a 16 foot trailer of cedar logs. We were literally 40 miles from anywhere, down around Leakey, TX. It was already 100 degrees and not a car in sight.

This family stopped and asked us if we needed help, then they put us in their car and took us back to Leakey out of their way. When we got there, we bought some gas and the store owner called a Deputy and he took us all the way back there. We offered to buy the family's lunch or pay for gas, but they would her none of it.

I was most impressed with the Deputy. He was nothing but polite and friendly. I seriously doubt you could get Johnson County Deputies to do something like that for you. Hats off the Real County.

In fact, when we were on our honeymoon, Steve ran us out of gas in the Blazer hauling a 16 foot trailer of cedar logs.

Sounds like an interesting honeymoon!

ChrisB":353mnyfr said:
In fact, when we were on our honeymoon, Steve ran us out of gas in the Blazer hauling a 16 foot trailer of cedar logs.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Jogeephus":2jmdaag1 said:
But I have learned, if they ask for food - I give food not money. It also surprises me how many people turn down your offer of help when there is no folding money involved.

That reminds me of what happened to my son and daughter-in-law. They are leaving KFC, taking home a thigh wrapped up in a couple of napkins, when they are approached by a hyphenated-American man. He says he is hungry and asks if they can give him some money to get something to eat. They say they can't give him any money but "Here, you can have this chicken thigh" and hand him the thigh they were taking home to eat later.

He takes the thigh and says, "But I'm hungry"

Them - "We gave you a Thigh"

He looks at them with this really uncomprehending look that says "how is giving me this helping me when what I really want is money?"

My son says - "You said you were hungry and we gave you food.

Him - "Well how is that gonna help?"

Now they look at him with a really uncomprehending look that says "how are you not understanding this?" They tell him to have a good day and go get in the truck to leave. As they leave they see the guy standing there looking at the piece of wrapped up chicken. And they are 99% convinced that as soon as they got out of sight and he got inside, their thigh went in the trash.

Oh well, they did try to help a hungry person.

Anyway I'm sure we all have stories about either getting help or helping someone who needed help or getting taken by the con artist. This just happened to be one that came to mind.

Cuz

Beefy":3urgl0az said:
yeah i dont know. i was at the gas station a few months ago and this couple drove up next to me and asked if i could spare them a few dollars to get some gas with, that they were in their daughters car and she had let it almost run out and that she had gone out with some friends the night before and never came home and they were going to look for her. (its about 20 miles to the nearest bank and the town they were going to) so i felt bad about them not knowing about their daughter and i gave them a few dollars to get gas with. he pulled in and went to pay for it and came out and started pumping gas. i went inside to pay for mine and came back out and they were gone. i looked out of curiousity to see how much gas he got. he got $2 worth. so i'm already pretty cynical anway b/c of situations like this where i try to do good and just get had.

Not your fault -- just a thought -- next time offer to pay for the gas instead of giving them the money.

3MR":edzfds2u said:
ChrisB":edzfds2u said:

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

He makes cedar furniture. We went to San Antonio for a few days and then went on to Leakey to get the logs. His dad had a cabin there. It is a really beautiful area. That is where Garner State Park is. So it was kinda business and fun. Mostly fun.

Doesn't sound much like the ideal honeymoon, but it was great.

I agree that we should help people in need.

Back maybe 10 years ago a friend of mine that grew up hard picked up a hitchhiker that was in need of a ride out of his way. He didn't have a ride as a kid and understood the thumb. He took the rider to the place he wanted to go and was stabbed once about the neck. He made it out and I still can call him my friend on earth. The other fellow died that night. My friend is a heck of a man and more so then than now. Lesser men would have traded places by the surprise attack of the other guy.

I don't exactly know what this story tells. It is the truth and sad at that.

Beefy":3fgmgh9d said:
i did give a stranger a ride out of my way on Christmas Eve one time.

Me too. It was driving snow storm here for us. It was miserable conditions.

That reminds me of my friend several years ago (about 1971ish). He lived in Nashville and was on his way to the family's farm about 45 miles away. He was going to do some hunting or target shooting. He was dressed in his camo, with a pistol at his side, a knife on his leg and several guns in the car with him. He had driven about a half mile when he saw a long haired hippy type thumbing for a ride. He pulled over and picked the guy up. As they drove along the hippy guy started noticing how he was dressed and all of the "stuff" he had with him, and within another half mile said he'd better get out. My friend pulled over and let him out. He thought the guy had acted strangely until he figured it out another mile or two down the road. :lol:

Cuz

Tab/s":2vhxf5ji said:
DONT NOTHING MAKE ME MADDER than to see someone needing to get out into traffic and stop and let them out and experience the following.

They look at you like you owed them that {really we do ;-) } or they are in front of me for miles after i let them out and they pass all the others up who need out and they fail to act.
Are these drivers from New Orleans by any chance?
By the way, can't help wondering where you are from as you didn't put a location in the space with your avatar.

a lady from church told us about her niece down in florida, she had stopped and picked up a lady that is carrying a baby in the rain,out on the highway, she stops to help her and get her and her baby out of the weather,,,,well just a ways down the road the lady tells her to stop the car, and pulls a gun on her, the driver runs the car into the ditch gets out, runs and get shot in the back by the lady with the baby, the neice was shot but as far as i know ok, and i believe that they caught the lady with the baby.........some people are just bad

I have often thought about stopping for one of these people with the card board signs that they are 'homeless' or 'will work for food' and giving a meal and a days work. Never have because I'm afraid of them getting 'injured' and then there could be problems. I don't want to have to go to the SSS thing.

Ryder":3q0eprrx said:
I have often thought about stopping for one of these people with the card board signs that they are 'homeless' or 'will work for food' and giving a meal and a days work. Never have because I'm afraid of them getting 'injured' and then there could be problems. I don't want to have to go to the SSS thing.

It amazes me that "supposedly" a guy can be stranded on the Interstate off-ramp, find a new piece of cardboard,two types of paint and a paint brush to use to make a sign with. Dang if he's that clever and ingeneous . . . oh never mind.

I laughed out loud at your SSS comment.

Cuz

Ryder":2wpaqdh0 said:
I have often thought about stopping for one of these people with the card board signs that they are 'homeless' or 'will work for food' and giving a meal and a days work.

They won't accept the offer of a job. Friend worked at gas station near off-ramp and watched one everyday. He had a hotel room and each night sat at the bar and drank beer. My friend told me about it so I had to see for myself. I pulled up and told him to hop in the back I had a lot of work to do and he just looked at me like I was crazy. :lol:

Here are my stories. I got bawled out for doing this.

I was going to my cousins wedding, a four hour drive, about 20 miles from the nearest town there was a truck with a stock trailer on it stopped by the side of the road. The hood was up. I stopped and gave this guy a ride to town. He sure was glad to get the ride, harvest was going on and he had no cell phone. He figured about 30 cars had passed him by.

Thanksgiving weekend I was heading home. It was pitch black and I passed a broke down truck before I even knew it was there. I turned around and went back to help. The father and son in the truck had just bought it and they lost all the power and electrics. They couldn't even turn on their hazards. They were able to get it going again. I followed them into town to make sure that they made it. They offered to pay me, but I refused. I would never sell that good feeling I get from helping people.

Wewild":i1bm2wu2 said:
I agree that we should help people in need.

Back maybe 10 years ago a friend of mine that grew up hard picked up a hitchhiker that was in need of a ride out of his way. He didn't have a ride as a kid and understood the thumb. He took the rider to the place he wanted to go and was stabbed once about the neck. He made it out and I still can call him my friend on earth. The other fellow died that night. My friend is a heck of a man and more so then than now. Lesser men would have traded places by the surprise attack of the other guy.

I don't exactly know what this story tells. It is the truth and sad at that.

Could have turned out like the Hank Jr song. Glad it didnt.