Helping Strangers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2mssc1kd said:
Ryder":2mssc1kd said:
I have often thought about stopping for one of these people with the card board signs that they are 'homeless' or 'will work for food' and giving a meal and a days work.

They won't accept the offer of a job. Friend worked at gas station near off-ramp and watched one everyday. He had a hotel room and each night sat at the bar and drank beer. My friend told me about it so I had to see for myself. I pulled up and told him to hop in the back I had a lot of work to do and he just looked at me like I was crazy. :lol:

In Oklahoma, at least OKC for sure, its illegal to not take the job. If they do and you report it the police will run them off.

Hey 3mr: I grew up with the same values and habits you are talking about, lending a hand cause plenty were lent to me!
I had the priveledge to spend 2 yrs in Tulsa and 1yr in OK City. Travelled the state, met lots of people from all walks of life, and yes I did pick up hitchers. I don't know if it is because of Will Rogers, but I never met a soul, man or woman, I didn't like. Great folks.
Just sorta like my little hometown values of the 50's in the Missippi River Valley.
That football team though, I just don't know !

I will always stop and offer someone help if they seem that they need it (i.e. stranded on the side of the road). I've always been wary of people asking for "help," especially in the form of money. But if it's food or whatever I will provide it for them as best I can. Yes, I'm sure I've been burned, but I can't help it.

I was coming home from the grocery one day and there was a couple on the side of the road with a sign asking for food or work. I had a truckload full of groceries and just couldn't pass by in good conscience. I noticed that one would stand by the road with the sign, while the other stayed in the car ... then, they would trade. When I got to the stop, I turned into the parking lot where the car was and motioned to them. I went to the back of my truck and started handing them groceries. The woman did her best to hide the tears and the man just seemed overwhelmed and it wasn't until they thanked me profusely and headed back to the car that I realized what was up ... they had a child, maybe two-years-old, in the car. I've never seen three people eat so foraciously in my life. I couldn't help but tear up as I drove out of the parking lot. That makes up for all the times I was probably scammed.

USMCRanchGirl":1g0irlh4 said:
I will always stop and offer someone help if they seem that they need it (i.e. stranded on the side of the road). I've always been wary of people asking for "help," especially in the form of money. But if it's food or whatever I will provide it for them as best I can. Yes, I'm sure I've been burned, but I can't help it.

I was coming home from the grocery one day and there was a couple on the side of the road with a sign asking for food or work. I had a truckload full of groceries and just couldn't pass by in good conscience. I noticed that one would stand by the road with the sign, while the other stayed in the car ... then, they would trade. When I got to the stop, I turned into the parking lot where the car was and motioned to them. I went to the back of my truck and started handing them groceries. The woman did her best to hide the tears and the man just seemed overwhelmed and it wasn't until they thanked me profusely and headed back to the car that I realized what was up ... they had a child, maybe two-years-old, in the car. I've never seen three people eat so foraciously in my life. I couldn't help but tear up as I drove out of the parking lot. That makes up for all the times I was probably scammed.
I agree. Better to write some off as bad debts than ignore one really in need. Not that you shouldn't be discriminating as best you can.

There was one on crutches at a rest area I stopped at weekly. He needed money to get gas to go to Pensacola where his son had an accident and was in the hospital.
The next week he was there hitting somebody up and I walked up and asked how his son was doing. He was speechless. After that when he saw me drive up he would run hide in the back.

Another time at a gas station a guy said he didn't have enough gas to get home and asked if Iwould help. I gave him a $5 bill. He went inside and came back out with change and gave me $2. Told me he could make it with the $3. I'm glad I didn't turn him down.

Seems like several will approach me in a short time. Then no more for a long time.
People say I'm a sucker for a sad story. I guess maybe I am. But whatch gonna do?

At a gas station in Lake Charles a young man told me his car was broke down and needed a rebuilt starter, all he had was $20 dollars and a starter would cost about $40. I told him to
give me his $20 and the broken starter and I would run up to the local parts house and get him a rebuilt one. He was offended that I did not trust him. I think we were even. He didn't trust me. His hands were to clean to have just removed a starter. So I drove away without getting taken in by his con.
R.T.

My husband and I passed a junky car broke down and saw an old lady walking from it. We turned the truck around and went back and just about the time I rolled my window down to talk to her she spit the biggest spit I think I have ever seen. Must have been a cup of tobacco juice. Probably had been nursing it for hours. YUK!!!! She looked real rough(i.e. nasty), not a "normal" granny like we thought. Someone else pulled up about the same time and hollared at her and she went to them. We were soooo glad.

I know someone who had a friend who picked up a couple of guys hitching and looking for work. He had some work for them to do and picked them up and took them home with him and they killed him.