Helping Hand

Help Support CattleToday:

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I have entered a competition for those of us that were affected by the floods.

If you would like to vote for us you can do so on https://www.suncorpbankhelpinghand.com. ... -g-rutter/

We were flooded for over 3 months during the time that Brisbane flooded for a day or so.

We lost our crops as they drowned from the constant rain. We reseeded but alas hubby is ploughing again now to reseed, as it is better to seed this time of year, so we are hoping for a better turn out this time.

Our cattle were 'starved' above the house with us having to hand roll out round bales in the mud. We could not use any machinery to help feed them or to get them off the property as light tractors were sinking on the top of the hill where we don't normally get bogged.

The flood water was much higher and faster than usual, (we are actually set up for floods) and kept taking our fences away. I would spend a week putting them up. Let the cattle out and call them up again in the afternoon as we would flood again and the fences were taken away again. They were taken away at least 3 times.

Sigh all I can really say is, "Bring on the next drought".

sorry about the hard times you are having. floods can be a terrible thing.and you feel so helpless when it is happening.nothing you can do.here in west virginia we have frequent flooding so much run-off when it rains.water coming down out of the hills.take care and be safe

Thanks Guys.

Yes as I said we are set up for floods but that last one was what they call a on in one hundred years flood. The last one was in 1974 so it is not necessarily a century between floods.. It flooded Brisbane as well, which they said after building the Wivenhoe Dam that Brisbane would never flood again. Never say never.

For te City folk a mud army was put together and people went to help. It was televised and on every radio show. The flood lasted around 24 hours there, not 3 months like here. None of the army came out to the country to help farmers.

A lot of business's folded and did not recover from the floods.

We have survived and are still here, however I did find myself a job otherwise we mightn't have survived.

Suzie Q, hang in there, Katrina ripped us a new one. Trees down with fences under them.
Cattle running everywhere. The so called help was in New Orleans an on the Ms. coast.
Hang in there, it is a hard battle, but it will make you a stronger person.

Greg

Thanks Greg.

Yes we are still hanging. We just start again. lol we are getting used to it now. We have started again at least 5 times in 8 years. People tell us to sell now we have fixed everything and it is going well. I would just like to sit back and enjoy it for a while.

Vote sent. We were flooded out of our house here on the lower ranch almost exactly one year ago, luckly most of the cattle were on the upper ranch before the flooding started, swam the last small breeding group out with horses and boats. Had to pack everything out of the house and live with friends and family for 6 months till the water went down and we could fix the house back to liveable. Lost over 300 acres of hay and hay barley because the water stood for several months on the fields before it receded and smothered everything, in the process of reseeding right now. The flooding was worse in eastern Montana and into the Dakotas, had friends actually lose 20 pairs in the river near Roundup when it hit. Same as with you folks, plenty of people to sandbag the cities but never saw the National Guard out here to help the ranchers, good thing we take care of our own. The most insulting part was the FEMA disaster relief check we got totaled $56, not even enough for one night in a motel room!

We are very lucky that our house is way above the flood line so we were luckier than you blkangus. Also that we had the cattle on the correct side of the creek. It would have been a nightmare if they were on the other side.

Here the Government makes a big song and dance in the media about helping Farmers but in reality if one of you has a job off the farm well then you are not counted and there are not that many farms in Aus where one or the other partner doesn't work off the farm.