Helping friends work cows and getting paid...

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":1q3xmj7p said:
Jogeephus":1q3xmj7p said:
Like Bigbull said, just take the money and say thank you cause I assure you they would not have had it any other way. On the otherhand, had the walked up to you and asked you how much he owed you it would be something completely different.

How many of us have had to work cows all by ourselves at times? There are times I had to skip some procedures just because there was not enough day light. Do that a few times, and you know how to appreciate help. Good help is all the more a plus.

You're danged right there, I'm always glad to get help and willing to pay for it, more than they can make flippin burgers.

Milkmaid, you did some work, you got paid for it, nothing wrong with that. As we get older we have a little more cash and a little less energy. I always try to help young people with whatever they are involved in and right now in your situation a few extra bucks will help out, there will come a time when you're older when you're on the other end of the deal. Just the way life is and I thank God for those that are willing to help young people. In the past I've written many letters for scholarships and awards for kids that worked for me, donated to all kinds of causes, sponsored kids in things like "Tent City". I look back on those things with fondness, not as an imposition.

Larry

Victoria":26frymy5 said:
I think you did right taking the money. Something that really irks me is when I try to do something nice for someone and they refuse to accept it. Especially if they are younger than me and I want to help them out. They know you could use the money, you appreciated it and they can feel good knowing they paid you. Win, win for everyone.
I agree, AND they invited you to come help it wasn't really a volunteer type thing... You did right. :nod:

I agree with Jo above. Just take the money, say thank you and leave it at that. Don't try to read too much into it. They appreciated having you help, you did not ask for pay but just take it with a smile. It is especially appropriate in this case since there is no way they can reciprocate and help you in a similar way.

My closest neighbor and I help each other in different ways. We know we will get to help each other again so no money changes hands. Another more distant neighbor helps me spread manure etc that there is no way I am going to be able to reciprocate so I pay him with some cash when we are done even though he doesn't ask. He says thanks and leaves.

What makes things very uncomfortable is when I really want to pay someone for help and they refuse. I hate that. Some folks want you to force it on them...I don't like arguing in public about payment. Just take it with a thank you. Your help was valuable.

You provided good help. I think whether you need the money or not is not a factor. Accepting reasonable pay sort of leaves the field level when you are done and should not be a big deal, in my opinion.

Jim

SRBeef":2irt7xnu said:
My closest neighbor and I help each other in different ways. We know we will get to help each other again so no money changes hands. Another more distant neighbor helps me spread manure etc that there is no way I am going to be able to reciprocate so I pay him with some cash when we are done even though he doesn't ask. He says thanks and leaves.

You provided good help. I think whether you need the money or not is not a factor. Accepting reasonable pay sort of leaves the field level when you are done and should not be a big deal, in my opinion.

Jim

Agreed. Somebody we swap favors with, I feed them or send them home with beef from the freezer. Otherwise we pay them. If they are good help, I want them to feel appreciated enough to want to come back. Simple as that.

Thanks again for all the input. :) They called me again last night, asked if a certain day works for me with us leaving town the night before and then stepping in the saddle early the next morning. I suppose they have a place for me to stay, LOL, but this sounds like it's going to be fun.

Latest posts