helpful books?

Help Support CattleToday:

Circle G

Reaction score
Are there any books anyone recommends that would be useful for a beginner rancher. Something that gives some pointers, maybe talks about vaccinations, reference guide for common illnesses, etc.

I know hands on learning is the best, but maybe something I can read in the evening. I am going to try to help out a local rancher on some weekends to get some good hands on experience and learn from his many years of ranching.

I have a pretty good infrasture setup, but I know I have a lot to learn.

Any advice is helpful.

thanks,

Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle: Health/Handling/Breeding is probably the best.

6M Ranch":3fg8cf9k said:
Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle: Health/Handling/Breeding is probably the best.

I bought this book when I first started nd found it very helpfull. I still use it look up somthing every now and then.

The stockman's Handbook by Ensminger. Perhaps you can find it on e-bay for a lower price. Very informative book, thorough. Another good one is Beef Cattle Science, also by Ensminger. I don't know what the price is on that one. my copies of the above books are both older, 5th edition, had them for many years.

Sounds like you're getting yourself prepared. Helping the local guy will be beneficial as well. Have fun learning.

Katherine

thanks for everyone's help. I bought storeys guide to raising beef cattle last night and started reading it. I also preorder the other book on amazon. The links to Texas A&M and OSU link were really good also. I am looking into the rest. thanks again!!

I am taking it slow with a few cattle and learning the ropes. going to slowly build up a heard so I don't have to borrow any money. Who knows maybe someday I can be a full time rancher and get out from behind this darn desk. That would be great!! I sit at my desk all day at work just wishing I was out there working.

both ensmingers books are great. i got a first editon beef cattle science for a steal. the things they got away with in the 40's by comparison to todays revisions....so ploitically uncorrect

All good books and links. Here is another. Grassfed to Finish, A production guide to Gourmet Grass-Finished Beef, by Allan Nation.

If you check out the extension service website for your state they will probably have a cattle raising manual. The one from MO covers everything from pasture to marketing and the price wasn;t bad. Course, I got it a lot of years agho so it may be pricey now.

dun

also the universitys have a lot of avail info on line for free. all the state u's do and most of the privates have some really good stuff along the lines of what dun was sayin

Don't mean to hijack this thread but are there any books out there that really explains EPD's? I can't for the life of me figure out how you come up with the + and -. Are there averages for each breed? Please, throw me a bone. Arf, Arf

Dick

txag":1bzbu1iq said:
icandoit":1bzbu1iq said:
Don't mean to hijack this thread but are there any books out there that really explains EPD's? I can't for the life of me figure out how you come up with the + and -. Are there averages for each breed? Please, throw me a bone. Arf, Arf

Dick

http://www.hereford.org/Acrobat/Perf/ss_S07_Preface.pdf

You almost have to look at each breed organization web site to get the meaning of their particular EPDs. CED has a different me4aqning with some breeds.

dun