Help?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":19sbg9lu said:
msscamp":19sbg9lu said:
We have a tire type stock tank (with a float) in the corral next to the alleyway that our 2 horses are in. I'm dipping a 5 gallon bucket to fill it, then carrying it to the fence - apprx 8-10' away - and dumping it through the fence into 2 large tubs that the horses then can drink from.

I think I gotcha now. MikeC posted something similar to this except his was two tanks side by side. The same principle will work here as well. I would drill a hole in your existing tank and put some flexible black hose through the hole and caulk it. I'd then dig a trench and place the hose in it until you get to the tank you want filled and plumb the hose to this tank. As long as the tank you are wanting to fill doesn't have much difference in elevation they will both fill to the same level. I think you could get this done for less than 20 bucks and it wouldn't take over an hour to do.(Assuming I'm seeing this right)

You're seeing the situation perfectly, but that solution won't work because we routinely have temps up to -30 degrees - as well as the occasional -40 to -60, and the water line would freeze where it comes out of the tank. All water lines up here have to be buried at least 6' deep to keep them from freezing and breaking during the winter months. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I appreciate it! :)

Wisteria Farms":28hhhbpi said:
I don't know if this will help or not but here's what we've done:

We have a spiggot by the fence. It has a 3' length of hose attached.

Along the fence we have wired PVC pipe which starts high at the spiggot and then drops consistently til it reaches the tank. To fill the trough that's not right at the spiggot you just stick the hose in the PVC pipe and gravity lets it flow to the other tank in the other paddock. To do this you have to be able to run that pvc along the fence all the way to your other trough.

Thanks, Wisteria. Unfortunately, the closest hydrant is approximately 90' from this alley so it just isn't practical in this situation. It is very difficult to adequately(sp?) drain that much garden hose to prevent freezing in the wintertime, plus there is the added problem of the vehicle traffic due to the multiple horse owners who are boarding here.

Six Feet! Jimmony, you do have a problem. Sorry, I haven't a clue what to do. Haven't seen snow, cept in pictures, in 38 years.

msscamp":3hag6d6c said:
dj":3hag6d6c said:
The pump from a washing machine fitted with a crank handle will move water as long as you move the handle 8)
The fill line for the tire tank does it come up from the bottom or over the side?

Thank you! The fill line comes up from under the tank.

To hard to replumb one that comes in from the bottom.
A hand pump of some sort that can be drained quickly may be your best choice.
Is the tank(main) heated during the winter or do you recirculate to keep it from freezing?
The reason I ask would the pump if left in the tank freeze?

dj":3l7sd12w said:
msscamp":3l7sd12w said:
dj":3l7sd12w said:
The pump from a washing machine fitted with a crank handle will move water as long as you move the handle 8)
The fill line for the tire tank does it come up from the bottom or over the side?

Thank you! The fill line comes up from under the tank.

To hard to replumb one that comes in from the bottom.
A hand pump of some sort that can be drained quickly may be your best choice.
Is the tank(main) heated during the winter or do you recirculate to keep it from freezing?
The reason I ask would the pump if left in the tank freeze?

It has to get really cold for this particular tank to freeze - protection from the guard rail fences? I'm not sure why. I am looking for ideas for a portable siphon that can be removed and drained after each filling of the smaller tubs.

Jogeephus":31yji1ho said:
Six Feet! Jimmony, you do have a problem. Sorry, I haven't a clue what to do. Haven't seen snow, cept in pictures, in 38 years.

Yep! If we had your temps, it would be easy to overcome this problem. I still appreciate your ides, though. thanks! :)

In tha past I've used a 12 volt high volume bilge pump. Drop the pump in the source tank and run tubing to the other and clip on the battery.

Did you look a the hand pump on the link I posted?
dun you think she might have problems with water left in the pump freezing? Even if she hurried it gets mighty cold up there might not take long to freeze up the little left in the pump before she can get it going?

dj":18oevz9m said:
Did you look a the hand pump on the link I posted?
dun you think she might have problems with water left in the pump freezing? Even if she hurried it gets mighty cold up there might not take long to freeze up the little left in the pump before she can get it going?

You just life the pump out of the tank and all the water drains out. I use one all the time for pumping liquids up to used motor oil but not gasoline

Wish I could help mom but if it gets below 60 I get cold. Most auto parts stores carry a siphon pump for cars. You could probably use it.

It might be easer to move the wall of the barn over 6' and let both sides drink out of the same tank.

msscamp":12sylxk3 said:
Wisteria Farms":12sylxk3 said:
I don't know if this will help or not but here's what we've done:

We have a spiggot by the fence. It has a 3' length of hose attached.

Along the fence we have wired PVC pipe which starts high at the spiggot and then drops consistently til it reaches the tank. To fill the trough that's not right at the spiggot you just stick the hose in the PVC pipe and gravity lets it flow to the other tank in the other paddock. To do this you have to be able to run that pvc along the fence all the way to your other trough.

Thanks, Wisteria. Unfortunately, the closest hydrant is approximately 90' from this alley so it just isn't practical in this situation. It is very difficult to adequately(sp?) drain that much garden hose to prevent freezing in the wintertime, plus there is the added problem of the vehicle traffic due to the multiple horse owners who are boarding here.

I understand.... I didn't realize your hydrant was that far. We've gone the route of draining hoses and it SUCKS! We then installed nice overhead piping in the barn to each stall, heat traced it and at some point the heat tracing failed and we had busted water lines in the barn. (anyone with animals can relate, I'm sure). My uncle boards horses but his system is a series of concrete troughs, each one at a lower elevation than the one before. A spring feeds the highest one, the overflow (ran underground) feeds the next one and so on until it dumps into a creek. Pretty nifty setup but not sure how he keeps it from freezing... maybe the constant flow of water? Sorry I couldn't be of help....

dun":3ivvj6l4 said:
In tha past I've used a 12 volt high volume bilge pump. Drop the pump in the source tank and run tubing to the other and clip on the battery.

Thank you! :D

msscamp":1vujx8bm said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1vujx8bm said:
Where the water source (I assume under pressure) goes in the float can't you split that source before the float and run a hose with a shutoff at the end to the place you need the water?

Yes, the water source is a well driven by a pressure pump. Water lines up here have to be buried at least 6' deep to keep them from freezing. So, if I'm understanding what you're saying, that would require trenching, redoing the water lines, and permanently installing a tank in the alley. That is more expense than seems to be necessary/can be justified at this point in time. The current influx of horses are seasonal - not year round. I appreciate your thoughts, though. :)
Sometimes the long way is the short way.In the long run you would probably be better off to properly install a hydrant where you need it.I've done the same kind of rigging that you are talking about and it always seems to cost more in the long run.Now all I have to do is learn to take my own advice.

msscamp":1mupaho7 said:
dun":1mupaho7 said:

Thank you! :D

This is what I was thinking too. Drain the ten feet of line, then let it thaw in the boot room until you have to break ice again.

larryshoat":3lp5p7cj said:
msscamp":3lp5p7cj said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3lp5p7cj said:
Where the water source (I assume under pressure) goes in the float can't you split that source before the float and run a hose with a shutoff at the end to the place you need the water?

Yes, the water source is a well driven by a pressure pump. Water lines up here have to be buried at least 6' deep to keep them from freezing. So, if I'm understanding what you're saying, that would require trenching, redoing the water lines, and permanently installing a tank in the alley. That is more expense than seems to be necessary/can be justified at this point in time. The current influx of horses are seasonal - not year round. I appreciate your thoughts, though. :)
Sometimes the long way is the short way.In the long run you would probably be better off to properly install a hydrant where you need it.I've done the same kind of rigging that you are talking about and it always seems to cost more in the long run.Now all I have to do is learn to take my own advice.

That is not my call to make. I do understand about taking your own advice, though. :)

Latest posts