Help

Help Support CattleToday:

citycowboy

Reaction score
I guess I have been around cattle a lot of my life (15 years) BUT I never really paid attention to the business.
Growing up I didn't want anything to do with the farm life. My father owned a farm equipment store in our town and my uncle had a large cattle farm in which I spent a lot of time. After high school I moved away from the country to the city and have now returned after 15 years away .My girlfriend's family owns a farm but do not do cattle anymore just horses. My uncle has retired and sold his farm (very sad). I am really getting interested in starting up a cattle business on some land her parents said we could use.
Problem is I don't know anything ….I guess I should have paid more attention as a child.
I really like the Angus breed but don't know where to start ….I think I would want to get a good bloodline but what is the best bloodline???? Any info or comments will help

find a nearby cattle operation and work there (for free if you have to).

citycowboy":hwx7gl19 said:
I guess I have been around cattle a lot of my life (15 years) BUT I never really paid attention to the business.
Growing up I didn't want anything to do with the farm life. My father owned a farm equipment store in our town and my uncle had a large cattle farm in which I spent a lot of time. After high school I moved away from the country to the city and have now returned after 15 years away .My girlfriend's family owns a farm but do not do cattle anymore just horses. My uncle has retired and sold his farm (very sad). I am really getting interested in starting up a cattle business on some land her parents said we could use.
Problem is I don't know anything ….I guess I should have paid more attention as a child.
I really like the Angus breed but don't know where to start ….I think I would want to get a good bloodline but what is the best bloodline???? Any info or comments will help

Start slow. Don't borrow a lot of money or buy a lot of equipment. You may find out you hate cattle. Find out how many head you can run on the land available to you and stock it at a smaller rate. What about corrals, chutes, and fences? Don't buy cattle until you have access to those. Will you be able to check on them regurarly? Introduce yourself to the neighbors, attend some cattlemen's meetings in your country, talk to the extension office, is there somewhere you can take some ag related classes or attend some seminars? Before you decide on breeds or class of cattle, there are lots of things to think about. Good luck.....

#1 Don't borrow money to get started.
#2 Find a mentor to help you along the way, the uncle and her family sounds like a good place to get answers.
#3 Buy used equipment if you can locate it.
#4 GO SLOW, GO SLOW
#5 Like some have said, the breed doesn't matter as much.
#6 Go commercial to begin with, it takes DEEP POCKETS to play in the registered business.
#7-1000 Ask questions and read all you can.

Latest posts