HELP!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have a heifer who is now about 20 months old. she has never bred with any bulls that we have put her with. she comes in a then 24 hours later goes out. i figured that she might have a small sist on her overies but i am no doctor.what is your opinion on why she might not be breeding back.

[email protected]

She likely has a malformed reproductive tract, which is not allowing the sperm to connect with the egg after it drops off the ovary. Cystic ovarian disease usually has the heifer not cycling, or else nymphomaniacal (follicular cyst). I'd recommend that you have someone (ie a vet) palp her and figure out whether she's work continuing to try with.

Something else to think about. She may be a freemartin and have either structural problems with the repro tract or hormones screwed up to the point that she can't settle a pregnancy. A heifer doesn't "have" to be born twin to a bull to be a freemartin. If a bull calf was also conceived and reabsorbed it can still cause the same problems. There is a bloodtest via U of CA Davis, about 40 bucks, that will tell you for sure if she is or isn't a freemartin. Just someting else to consider.

dun

> i have a heifer who is now about
> 20 months old. she has never bred
> with any bulls that we have put
> her with. she comes in a then 24
> hours later goes out. i figured
> that she might have a small sist
> on her overies but i am no
> doctor.what is your opinion on why
> she might not be breeding back.

My pet cow didn't breed until she was 2 years old. She was out with the bull for a year. She is now 12 years old and breeds back within 1 -2 months after calving. Ruth

> Something else to think about. She
> may be a freemartin and have
> either structural problems with
> the repro tract or hormones
> screwed up to the point that she
> can't settle a pregnancy. A heifer
> doesn't "have" to be
> born twin to a bull to be a
> freemartin. If a bull calf was
> also conceived and reabsorbed it
> can still cause the same problems.
> There is a bloodtest via U of CA
> Davis, about 40 bucks, that will
> tell you for sure if she is or
> isn't a freemartin. Just someting
> else to consider.

> dun

[email protected]

A number of cattle breeds don't reach puberty till later, Brahman influence cattle in particular.

dun

> My pet cow didn't breed until she
> was 2 years old. She was out with
> the bull for a year. She is now 12
> years old and breeds back within 1
> -2 months after calving. Ruth

Latest posts