Help with welded wire on a chicken pen

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the chicken run off of the chicken house. Last time I used 2x4's with chicken wire. Raccoons literally ripped holes in the wire to get to the chickens, broke the wire, not pulled it away from the 2x4's. The run needs to be fully enclosed due to raccoons, yotes, hawks and eagles, etc.

This time I'm using 1x3 welded wire, what is the strongest and best way to secure the wire to the 2x4 frame?

Small staples diagonally over the welded section where it needs attaching.

Alan":25ikq8nq said:
I'm rebuilding the chicken run off of the chicken house. Last time I used 2x4's with chicken wire. Raccoons literally ripped holes in the wire to get to the chickens, broke the wire, not pulled it away from the 2x4's. The run needs to be fully enclosed due to raccoons, yotes, hawks and eagles, etc.

This time I'm using 1x3 welded wire, what is the strongest and best way to secure the wire to the 2x4 frame?

Racoons, coyotes and such?

You need more, better or bigger dogs - our chickens run free in a high predator population area my friend - been a no kill zone for about 10 years now.

Put the dog in the coop - that really throws the bad things into a bit of a loop. It is nice to come out in the morning and find that killer lying dead in the yard.

It does not take long before they stop coming

As per Dun and Orerancher - staples on wood (barbed are best) - or fence wire ties if you are using steel posts.

Cheers

Bez

Galvanized staples is the only way to go. I've tried the staples out of the gun and they pull out. I also use the welded wire and had a coyote test one of the corners. It was able to break one wire but the staples held.

OWLS are my biggest problem. they will light on the roost limb , walk them off and catch it before they hit the ground. all the do is pull the head off and leave dead chickens everywhere.

M5farm":1xcmw1ku said:
OWLS are my biggest problem. they will light on the roost limb , walk them off and catch it before they hit the ground. all the do is pull the head off and leave dead chickens everywhere.
I had Birminham Roller pigeons and if they didn;t go back into the loft at night the owls would do that. Except they flew off with it. I had heard of it but one night got to watch it happen when one of the stupid pigeons roosted in a tree right outside the window.

In a non-arid area staples work fine. Real staokles not those litle bits of wire that are only good for hanging targets. In arid areas screws are the best bet. In the desert, even with dry wood, anything other then a screw or lag bolt would back out or get too loose to hold within a year or 2.

A good hot wire about a foot off the ground and 6 inches out from the woven wire will help too. So would a well place 1 1/2 coil spring trap.

We were loosing Chickens so I built a new Chicken house. I sunk 4x4 treated posts in the ground 8'c and framed the walls with 2x4 treated wood. Then doug a trench between the 4x4's and poured concrete. Then sided the three sides with metal 36'' up from the concrete and wired 1x2'' from the top of the metal to the metal roof. I am building a 8'x8' grain room attached to it. We have not lost a Chicken in about a year.

Latest posts