Help with strange abcess

Help Support CattleToday:

Alicia

Reaction score
Hello everyone. So, today when I went to feed and check on our bull, I discovered this strange scaly abcess on his neck. I do not recall this being here earlier in the week. I did a search and cannot find much. Any thoughts on what kind of infection? I know the vet will be the best bet for proper diagnosis and care of it, but going into the New Years weekend I am not sure when I can get em out to look at it.[image][/image]

Is that a lump sticking outwards? Or did he have his head caught somewhere and rubbed it up bad?

Looks like it is sticking out, and I know if it was mine I'd probably dig my jacknife out and do some exploring :shock:

Looks like it's gonna get nasty,judging by that color in the middle...inserting a large gauge needle down toward the bottom to drain it..and clean it

ALACOWMAN":w4sylip5 said:
Looks like it's gonna get nasty,judging by that color in the middle...inserting a large gauge needle down toward the bottom to drain it..and clean it
Yes, if it hot and soft.
Otherwise I'd leave it alone, an abscess will wall itself of from the body. It looks ugly, but benign neglect heals them
as fast as messing with them.

Silver":2it5hxim said:
Is that a lump sticking outwards? Or did he have his head caught somewhere and rubbed it up bad?

Looks like it is sticking out, and I know if it was mine I'd probably dig my jacknife out and do some exploring :shock:

I concur Silver. A little Tincture of Iodine squirted into the wound after it is drained would help also.

A large guage needle to see what it contains but if puss a nice big slash to ensure good drainage. On the other hand just leaving it will do no harm as SOB has said it will wall itself off from the rest of his body and bumping up against something will burst it anyhow.

Ken

If you ever see it ruptured or open it would be a good time to squirt some iodine and be sure that a thorn is out.

Latest posts