Help with labor

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Our 18 month old has starting laboring with her first calf. She was first seen pushing about 4 hours ago and now one hoof is visible. How does one know when the heifer needs assistance? And how long could/should she be in labor?

[email protected]

> Our 18 month old has starting
> laboring with her first calf. She
> was first seen pushing about 4
> hours ago and now one hoof is
> visible. How does one know when
> the heifer needs assistance? And
> how long could/should she be in
> labor? She needs help, call your vet ASAP.

From the time a heifer starts realy bearing down the feet should be visible within 2 hours at thr most. If only one foot is visible for more then half an hour or so she needs help. If oth feet show for an hour, she needs help. Obviously, this girl needs help now and urgently

dun

> Our 18 month old has starting
> laboring with her first calf. She
> was first seen pushing about 4
> hours ago and now one hoof is
> visible. How does one know when
> the heifer needs assistance? And
> how long could/should she be in
> labor?

Just wondering, what is a good calf crop percentage for a suburbanite joke farm. 60 to 70%? The heifer probably had a leg back easily corrected by a competant cow man. That vet bill will probably be $200 for something you could have done yourself. It's your money and i guess thats why you do as a hobby.

[email protected]

It probably would have been better to breed her at 15 months so she would have calved at 24 months , that could have saved some problems she's alittle young

[email protected]

Blackpower, your comments are way out of line. Last I checked this board was open to any and all who have an interest in raising cattle.

> Just wondering, what is a good
> calf crop percentage for a
> suburbanite joke farm. 60 to 70%?
> The heifer probably had a leg back
> easily corrected by a competant
> cow man. That vet bill will
> probably be $200 for something you
> could have done yourself. It's
> your money and i guess thats why
> you do as a hobby.

First of all, thanks for all the comments. We are not in the "cash crop" business we have only a handful of cows. I was looking for some guidance so I thought I could find it here. Sorry if I irriated anyone with my question. To clarify the heifer was not bred on purpose. The outcome was that the vet came and the calf was stillborn. The heifer however is doing fine. Again thanks for all the input and by the way I won't bother anyone with anymore questions.

[email protected]

> First of all, thanks for all the
> comments. We are not in the
> "cash crop" business we
> have only a handful of cows. I was
> looking for some guidance so I
> thought I could find it here.
> Sorry if I irriated anyone with my
> question. To clarify the heifer
> was not bred on purpose. The
> outcome was that the vet came and
> the calf was stillborn. The heifer
> however is doing fine. Again
> thanks for all the input and by
> the way I won't bother anyone with
> anymore questions.

No do not do that. Any time you need help ask. The only fools around here are the ones that think they know it all and really no nothing.

[email protected]

I'll echo this response. Ask questions, sort through what you like and bucket the stuff you don't. The majority of the folks on these boards are actually trying to help/support and enjoy doing so. Some times we all (any way I do) tend to get a little heavy handed and preachy. That's the way things are. We all know what opinions are worth. And sometimes free advice is worth at least as much as you paid for it, sometimes not.

dun

> No do not do that. Any time you
> need help ask. The only fools
> around here are the ones that
> think they know it all and really
> no nothing.

Please dont let one asinine jerk keep you from participating in these discussions. if anyone should discontinue posting here it should be THE asinine jerk (fat chance). you'd think they would monitor this place better.

Agree! Board is open to anyone who has livestock concerns or opinions. Don't ever be personally offended by the rare few who have a negative attitude problem! 99% of livestock people are decent and willing to help, whether their opinions are great, marginal, or invalid. Only that 1% perpetually wake up on the wrong side of the bed or have a defective gene in their pedigree...lol.

[email protected]

> I'll echo this response. Ask
> questions, sort through what you
> like and bucket the stuff you
> don't. The majority of the folks
> on these boards are actually
> trying to help/support and enjoy
> doing so. Some times we all (any
> way I do) tend to get a little
> heavy handed and preachy. That's
> the way things are. We all know
> what opinions are worth. And
> sometimes free advice is worth at
> least as much as you paid for it,
> sometimes not.

> dun I'll echo what Scotty and Dun said and add that I'm sorry about the calf but glad the heifer will be ok.

I am sorry, I didn't know we should bow down to the all-knowing,all-powerful cattle god named BlackPower. This is a question and answer board, and because they had a question that needed an answer to they came here. Son't shoot them down because they don't know everything on God's green earth.

[email protected]

> Just wondering, what is a good
> calf crop percentage for a
> suburbanite joke farm. 60 to 70%?
> The heifer probably had a leg back
> easily corrected by a competant
> cow man. That vet bill will
> probably be $200 for something you
> could have done yourself. It's
> your money and i guess thats why
> you do as a hobby.

This is why it is called "Beginners Board", so we can ask these questions. Thanks to all that have helped me in the past. By the way it's spelled competent.

[email protected]

> Please dont let one asinine jerk
> keep you from participating in
> these discussions. if anyone
> should discontinue posting here it
> should be THE asinine jerk (fat
> chance). you'd think they would
> monitor this place better. I am wondering if blackpowder is the same angus thumper, There is an old indian work for blackpower, "assahole".

[email protected]

Please ask questions whenever you have them. I get a lot of good advice on here without posting anything most of the time. I just read questions and answers. That is what this is for. I hope your heifer is O.K. and wish you better luck next time, as sometimes no matter what you do or don't do, luck is the deciding factor when it comes to cattle.

Just for the record, I do not understand why someone should be criticized for being inexperienced when they ask a question on a beginner's board (or wherever they ask the question for that matter).

Keep farmin'

[email protected]

Latest posts