Help with holding a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
Hi All,
we are still new to all this.
my question is how do I hang hold on to a calf that needs meds or to tag?
we have a head gate for the large cows. theres got to be a way to do this without getting kicked it the ribs.
Any ideas would be a great help

Thats according to how big it is. If its a small calf, back it into a corner and lean on it to hold it. Or straddle it and hold it between your knees. Or use a halter and snub it to the wall.

For an animal up to your "strength limit". Two people is best.

Little guys - just do what you have to do.

Bigger?

Toss it on the ground - kneel on its head/neck and pull a front leg forward. Have another person grab at least one hind leg and pull it out straight behind. Stretching the calf makes things a lot easier.

Bez?

Holmesfarm":1s8td4jx said:
Hi All,
we have a head gate for the large cows. theres got to be a way to do this without getting kicked it the ribs.

The easiest way I've found is to corner them and place one knee in front of their chest and the other knee behind their butt, then just kinda lean into them to keep them pressed into the corner. That leaves both hands free to give meds or tag. Once you have the tag placed, though, you will probably want to grab him under the chin and restrain his head to prevent him from throwing his head and ripping his ear out. Calves older than about a week old probably need 2 people or a different approach for tagging, but I've used this method on calves up to about a month or so for doctoring.

msscamp":b9ihjqg6 said:
Holmesfarm":b9ihjqg6 said:
Hi All,

The easiest way I've found is to corner them and place one knee in front of their chest and the other knee behind their butt, then just kinda lean into them to keep them pressed into the corner. That leaves both hands free to give meds or tag. Once you have the tag placed, though, you will probably want to grab him under the chin and restrain his head to prevent him from throwing his head and ripping his ear out. Calves older than about a week old probably need 2 people or a different approach for tagging, but I've used this method on calves up to about a month or so for doctoring.

If I might add one little thing here...make sure whatever corner you have the little darlin' pressed into is stable.

After the crash, I wound up on top of the calf and was able to give the shot a micro second before the calf got it's wits about him...after which I wound up on the bottom with sharp little hooves digging in for traction. Oh my, but that was a long afternoon.

Alice

Wewild":2r1jqd3n said:
If you can... pin them behind a closed gate.

Hmmmm .... would you mean between a wall and an OPEN gate?

:D

Works wonders actually. I like to throw them - allows me to work out my aggression. 8) That way I do not have to threaten folks on the boards. Anyone seen that guy recently?

Back to the topic - in fact if you do not have a decent set up Wewilds suggestion is not only excellent, it is practised by many on this site.

Have fun.

Regards

Bez?

Alice":ltop8jh3 said:
msscamp":ltop8jh3 said:
Holmesfarm":ltop8jh3 said:
Hi All,

If I might add one little thing here...make sure whatever corner you have the little darlin' pressed into is stable.

Alice

You certainly may and that is a very good point - one I hadn't even considered. Funny the things one takes for granted. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Wewild":upr9nqm4 said:
If you can... pin them behind a closed gate.

I've tried this method, but found there was too much interference from the gate and it just made things more difficult for me. Another method is to put them in the alleyway leading to the chute. A little extra work probably, but it works very well.

You could throw them and tie three legs (the two hind and the bottom front) if you are working them yourself, Bez? said it if you have a crew - just make sure the back guy has a clue about how fast those legs can reach his teeth.

If you throw, reach over its back, grab the off ear or off front leg and off flank. "Jerk" up and off its feet and "slam" down to the ground. Kneel on neck with that knee, grab top front leg and "fold" towards elbow and use your other foot behnd calf's back legs to bring them towards front. Snatch pigging string out of your teeth (did I forget to mention that?) and tie legs together TIGHTLY otherwise they will invariably wiggle loose right in the middle of whatever you are doing. You can castrate from behind, with Bez?'s team method you go from the belly direction - and have to trust that back guy not to let go. :eek:

Thanks for all your help.
we have been backing them into a corner with one person holding on and one giving meds. but have gotten kicked and hurt our back trying to hold them.Each time saying {theres got to be a better way.}
I`ve been told to put them in a milking cow stanshin they ajust small enough for littleones. I wanted everyone input. I don`t have one and don`t know how easy it is to find one and if thats the way to go.

Hippie Rancher":62hofk80 said:
You could throw them and tie three legs (the two hind and the bottom front) if you are working them yourself, Bez? said it if you have a crew - just make sure the back guy has a clue about how fast those legs can reach his teeth.

If you throw, reach over its back, grab the off ear or off front leg and off flank. "Jerk" up and off its feet and "slam" down to the ground. Kneel on neck with that knee, grab top front leg and "fold" towards elbow and use your other foot behnd calf's back legs to bring them towards front. Snatch pigging string out of your teeth (did I forget to mention that?) and tie legs together TIGHTLY otherwise they will invariably wiggle loose right in the middle of whatever you are doing. You can castrate from behind, with Bez?'s team method you go from the belly direction - and have to trust that back guy not to let go. :eek:

As soon as you got them tied dont forget to throw your hands in the air and step back so the judge knows when to stop the clock. :lol: :lol:

Until they get too tall, I get them into a corner, then get my knee under their belly behind the ribs and kind of lift and push against the wall/fence with my knee, while leaning into them with my weight. Doesn't work for SQ injections, but if you just need one stick in a shoulder, you can get it done. Quits working when they are too big for you to outmuscle.

I always just throw them down on their side, and sit on their shoulders/neck. On babies this is pretty easy, just stand on one side of them, reach over top and either grab a front leg or under their neck and their flank, lift them up and flop them down. Then hurry up and straddle their neck/shoulders before they can get their legs under them and sit down. Your weight will hold them down, and if they start to fight just grab ahold of the top front leg and pull it up and back toward you. Don't worry about hurting them. You'd have to do some serious wrenching to hurt them very bad.

Put them in a small pen and get a rope on both back feet. Take a wrap or two on a post. Keep pulling on the rope or backing them up until they are close to the post with their back feet about even with their back. At that point grab a front leg and tip them over. Just their shoulders and head should be on the ground. A light knee on the neck is all that is required to hold them down. Their own weight hanging on their back legs keeps them from kicking.
Dave

randiliana":1nrfpkav said:
Don't worry about hurting them. You'd have to do some serious wrenching to hurt them very bad.

I ususally worry about me more than them when thet weigh more than me.

Don't know how many you handle but a real calf table is handy when you get tired of working on the ground or kicked in the shins - Oh wait that still happens, but hey at least I don't have to sqat all the way down anymore.

randiliana":1xzl55ee said:
Your weight will hold them down, and if they start to fight just grab ahold of the top front leg and pull it up and back toward you.

Yeah, but they can still kick the crap out of you!

Latest posts