help with bucket feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to get a calf to start eating grain from a bucket but he doesn't have any interest at all. He drinks milk from the bucket fine and will eat a little grain from my hand. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Try using the same pail to feed grain that you use for milk. So, when he sees the bucket he will get in the mood to eat.

Michelle":2j88z2oi said:
I'm trying to get a calf to start eating grain from a bucket but he doesn't have any interest at all. He drinks milk from the bucket fine and will eat a little grain from my hand. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Give him pro-bios or some other gut bacteria product. Then every time you go by, put a handfull in his mouth, keeping the bucket close to his muzzle. Pretty soon he will search it out, just don't expect him to eat alot all at once it will take time.

We'd start putting a handful of grain in the calves' mouth at about a week old.. and keep doing it after they've had their milk. Eventually they'll get the hang of it. Make sure you keep grain available in the pen with the calf all day.. you'd be surprised how many will figure it out on their own eventually.

You could check into a feeder bottle..We did this with a coupe of calves who just couldnt figure it out with the bucket. We purchased pelleted feed and filled the hanging feed bottle they chew , naw ect the nipple and it disperses pellets. These calves did great along with our bucket calves. The downfall was buying the pelleted feed versus mixing our own but ohh well it worked. Its an option.

Latest posts