Help with breeding a heifer after an abortion

Help Support CattleToday:

ZFSantaGertrudis

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post on the site and hopefully y'all can help me out. I bought a heifer from a registered gert sale that was sold to me as open. After having her for about a month it came time to AI her so I set her up and low and behold I knocked a calf out of her. I would say the calf was probably between two and three months. Now this heifer is supposed to be on the show circuit this year for a kid that shows for me, but if shes not bred by sixteen months at latest she wont stand a chance. So my question is what are the chances I can get her bred in the next thirty to forty five days? And is there anything I can do to help her chances? Thank you in advance.

I have talked to them. They will do whatever is necessary to make it right. We decided to try and breed her in the next 45 days to see if she will breed back, and if she will then no harm no foul. If she doesn't breed however I have a hard time telling a kid he doesn't have a show project. So if there is anything I can do to improve my chances, I will.

I'm "assuming" you gave her a Lutalyse shot? and that's what aborted the caf?
If so, I would give her another Lut shot 10-14 days after abortion to clean her out, then breed her on next cycle.
You could give her a shot of Selenium or Multimin.

Latest posts