Help with a steers' top

Help Support CattleToday:

mellove555

Reaction score
Question for you all..

Any tricks of the trade for a steer that is weak behind the shoulder, Really nice front end and read in but gives up some behind the shoulder.

Thanks
Melissa

If you mean he's just narrow, there's not much you can do but if he dips, you need to grow as much hair there as possible and clip the rest of his back pretty short and longer behind the shouder. Also, JUDICIOUS us of leg builder (hair or fibers) may help if you do it right.

Flacowboy":3mtw2bbi said:
If you mean he's just narrow, there's not much you can do but if he dips, you need to grow as much hair there as possible and clip the rest of his back pretty short and longer behind the shouder. Also, JUDICIOUS us of leg builder (hair or fibers) may help if you do it right.

exactly what i would do. use a rice root brush on it and use freshen up or revive on that part of him. you could also mix some liniment or willams electric shave into some clean sheen and spray him down with it every so often. it chills the hide which will make the hair grow.

TNMasterBeefProducer":34rjgd03 said:
grand chaser09":34rjgd03 said:
Flacowboy":34rjgd03 said:

exactly what i would do. use a rice root brush on it and use freshen up or revive on that part of him. you could also mix some liniment or willams electric shave into some clean sheen and spray him down with it every so often. it chills the hide which will make the hair grow.

Why cover up genetic faults. Wouldn't it be cheaper and less work in the long run to buy something better that you didnt have to spend so much time on?

You are getting less and less helpfull.

Snider_Angus":1gaujor8 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1gaujor8 said:
Why cover up genetic faults. Wouldn't it be cheaper and less work in the long run to buy something better that you didnt have to spend so much time on?

You are getting less and less helpfull.

A-FRICKIN-MEN TO THAT!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Seriously though your criticism to these kids is not helpful in the least bit. They asked for ways to help this problem not for a reply of "buy better genetics."

I tend to agree kids get on this post to ask for help, maybe there are circumstances that landed them with the problem they have with their cattle, whether it be first timers, someone else buying the cattle, or not having help to pick out better cattle, who knows it's not anyones right to rag on these kids. No one knows everyone's situation and I believe offering a bit of advice would be better than telling them just forget what you got and get another one, everyone may not be able to do it and when you are dealing with kids you have to use a little "tact". When had a boy in our county this year, get a steer a first timer and he was awful, broke real bad behind the shoulder, blowed out in the shoulders, no depth, pitiful, but all that kid's friends and my son included jumped in there and helped him fit that steer just like he was the best in the world. He didn't do worth a flip anywhere we went but them kids still did everything they could and noone EVER said a word about how bad that steer was, we all knew and there wasn't any need to say anything, they just got caught up being new to showing to someone who knew better that was just trying to put off a piece of s**t steer. I bet next year will be different, they learned a heck of a lot. So please ADULTS handle these kids on here with a little ease and when they ask for help offer a bit of helpful advice and keep some of your ideas to yourself. :wave:

Well to add to being on my "soapbox" Melissa, you may not be a "kid" but it doesn't matter, grown up or kid if someone asks for help offer help and that's it. :tiphat:

TNMasterBeefProducer":2b6l3nlu said:
grand chaser09":2b6l3nlu said:
Flacowboy":2b6l3nlu said:

you may buy an amazng calf with genes to back him up but at some point he could begin to lack somewhere. thats why i throw out some pointers on how to possibly cover these up. there is no perfect calf. and why wouldn't you spend so much time on your animal? the more you work with them the better they turn out in the end.

Latest posts