HELP** Whats going on ?????

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I will try to not make this to long ; Tue. 6-26-18 I rode my mule into a place that was to muddy to drive into as we were riding down by a spring we find a calf alive laying out in the wide open did not know who momma was. all in this pasture has had a calf other than 2 young cows, also have 5 young open wet bag cows in this pasture that I bought a couple months ago cows that were preg. checked open and one of them had a calf about 2 weeks after I bought them. Ride back to herd and find one of the first 2 cows I said that had not calved she had a full bag and was swelled up like Brahman cross cattle do. We moved whole heard to where this calf was, say close to 1/4 mile, nothing acted like it was their calf and calf just went from cow to cow getting a little milk here and there.
THUR. JUNE 28,18 went back to check them again calf not with cows rode till we found it, looked kind of gaint, so we take cows to lot and was able to get cow that I think maybe momma in trailer, hard job getting trailer in due to mud and flooding but we made it. took cow home and put cow in shoot but she laid down so I was not able to let calf nurse really to hot to do much to her, left in lot with calf. put another pair in lot with her because she is mad and wanting to fight, calf is getting some milk from both cows.
SAT JUNE 30, 18 Go to check them this morning and the cow I brought home has a calf now she seam to like both calves pretty good but I don't know what's going on
where I found this calf it would have had to travel a long way and cross a deep creek to get there if it would have came from any neighboring pastures
COULD a cow have twins and have them 5 to 7 days apart ?????

I had same thing happen this year. Cow had a calf and I wrote it down. Several days later I saw her with a newborn so thought maybe I wrote down wrong calf earlier. A few days go by and I notice calf #2 isn't doing so good so get mamma and baby up and she let him suck but too many days had gone by. Kind of strange I never had this happen before. I figure she had calf #2 several days after calf #1 or another cow had it and wouldn't take it so she was taking care of him.

Yes, I had a first calf heifer have a dead calf on a friday. I had penned her so I could watch her. She was not bagged up real big but enough that I knew she was getting close. I also knew when the bull went in and came out so had an idea of what her due date status could be. So, I was trying to put a calf on her she was okay with it the first few times, but then fought it on Sunday night. On Monday morning I went to the barn and there she was with a newborn, live heifer. This calf was IDENTICALLY marked, with just a smidgen of white on her forehead, but a little more white on the underbelly. She was licking and talking to this calf and did not want me near her. Since the cow had been penned, I know she had both these calves 3 days apart. I talked to a couple of farmers and they said it has been known to happen but not real common. The vet said he had known of 2 cases. So what it is worth, yes it is poossible. If the first calf had been born alive who knows if she would have taken the second.

By the way, the live heifer was named Lucky, and she is due with her first AI calf in mid July. The cow had a single the next year and is due again in Sept.

Latest posts