HELP!! too many open cows

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
HELP!! too many open cows. Recently changed bulls. I thought the first one about had all the cows bred because I wasn't noticing much riding around. Enough to think that he was probably on the cleanup stage anyway. When I bought a couple angus and returned the other bull to my neighbor, all of a sudden I had a lot more cows coming in. What's wrong? This seemed to happen suddenly. If the bull was bad, why wasn't I noticing extra riding around? Was he just plum lazy? Think it might be lepto or some other reproductive problems? Think they might be aborting at a early stage? I haven't noticed anything. All comments will be greatly appreciated. I have contacted my vet and we are going to sleeve everything tomorrow to see what kind of % are open. Thanks so much!!!

you just got a bad bull.i dought all your cows would be sick.before ide wast money on a vet i would let the new bulls breed the cows and if they come back in heat again thencall the vet.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Sort of agree, but disagree even more. Don't waste time on your next calving season by giving the bull another month. Have a BSE doen on him, that's the first thing. Have the cows tested for STDs, have the bull checked also. How is your mineral program, what is the body condition of the cows, how is the nutrition of the stuff they're eating. Were the cows recently vaccinated with MLV vaccines?
All of these are issues that can casue problems, but I would have the bull checked at the same time you get the cows sleeved.

dun

Tc":2brb9u6u said:
you just got a bad bull.i dought all your cows would be sick.before ide wast money on a vet i would let the new bulls breed the cows and if they come back in heat again thencall the vet.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

i missunderstood her post. i thought she already put a new bull in with the cows. my bad.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Just came from the vet's office. I talked my neighbor( in whose bull I had borrowed} to go have him tested. The semen count was good but he had warts on his penis. The vet sugggested that I wait a little longer to have my cows sleeved so that the 2 new bulls that I put in there would have time to catch most of the cows during at least one cycle. Now I'm going to have Dec and Jan calves. In my area I perfer fall and spring calves. But I quess that winter calves are better than no calves at all. Thanks for all your responses!

Dun, give me your thoughts on MLV vaccines.

dun":2uch0owi said:
Sort of agree, but disagree even more. Don't waste time on your next calving season by giving the bull another month. Have a BSE doen on him, that's the first thing. Have the cows tested for STDs, have the bull checked also. How is your mineral program, what is the body condition of the cows, how is the nutrition of the stuff they're eating. Were the cows recently vaccinated with MLV vaccines?
All of these are issues that can casue problems, but I would have the bull checked at the same time you get the cows sleeved.

dun

Tc":2uch0owi said:

I know my vet won't use MLV vaccines on pregnant cows, claims it can either cause abortion or birth defects.

Ann B

We use MLV on calves at weaning and on the cows in the spring after they;ve calved but before they're bred. Some MLV vaccines claim they won't cause abortion, I'ld just a soon not take a chance on it.

dun

Ann Bledsoe":3d8ta4bc said:
I know my vet won't use MLV vaccines on pregnant cows, claims it can either cause abortion or birth defects.

Ann B

How long before breeding? Will they shed to cows not calved yet? Would never inject MLV in pregnant animal but wonder about heifers shedding if a few stragglers haven't calved yet.

No cull market up here so bulls ran longer and calving season is dragged out a bit. Could use Killed but assume MLV has a bit more punch on type 2 BVD.

Vets up here have different opinions depending on their sales reps I suppose.

dun":h3e02asw said:
We use MLV on calves at weaning and on the cows in the spring after they;ve calved but before they're bred. Some MLV vaccines claim they won't cause abortion, I'ld just a soon not take a chance on it.

dun

Ann Bledsoe":h3e02asw said:

Ann B

That's what you get for having an Angus bull!! LOL, just joking! :lol: Anyways he probably just didn't have enough time to breed them or something physical is wrong with him.
Ellie May