Help, Sick cow

Help Support CattleToday:

abun

Reaction score
I have a brangus cow with yellow discharge coming out of her nose but no other signs of being sick. She gets vacinations twice a year including lepto. Anyone know what this may be a symptom of. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Scott

hillsdown":2nteadu5 said:
Take her temp..

Absolutely !!! She may not be sick. Just a discharge. Not uncommon. Watch for other symptoms..fever, shortness in breathing, coughing, droopy ears and eyes and overall lethargy.

Would 101.5 be about normal? At what temp should I start getting worried? I will try and get her temp friday. thanks for the replies.

abun":gs23fntu said:
Would 101.5 be about normal? At what temp should I start getting worried? I will try and get her temp friday. thanks for the replies.

Perfect....wipe her nose and check her latter.

If she's eating, drinking, and keeping up with the other cows, don't worry about a little snotty nose.

Sorry folks,I tend to disagree-'yellow' discharge from nose or vulva usually is an indication that something is amiss.

alisonb":3ln2qyji said:
Sorry folks,I tend to disagree-'yellow' discharge from nose or vulva usually is an indication that something is amiss.
Vulva yes, nose no. A cold wether summer or winter will still generate nast yellow snot.
Benign neglect!

A small amount of yellow nasal discharge for a few days would not bother me, but if it continues there may be something more going on. I have seen a few cows/steers that have had nasal discharge like this for a few days, and they have had dental problems (abscess, tooth root problems, food impaction etc.) Keep an eye on it, and if it continues, a fever develops, stops eating, lethergy, etc I would contact your local vet. Good luck :cboy:

abun":2tgr2occ said:

Thats about normal. Heck everytime the weather changes or the seasons change there are always one or two with snotty noses. Yet they never get sick. They wipe their nose on the others and thats it.