help! sick cow

Help Support CattleToday:

luvaphahorses

Reaction score
We have a four year old herford cow that is coughing, drooling, large swelling under throat and has lost a lot of weight. She also was supposed to be bred and never calved. We are inexperienced cow people. Any one haveing any idea what this could be or what we should do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Had a cow about a month or so ago with Wooden Tounge.....she did everything yours does but the coughing -- but the absoulte best thing to do is call the vet

Give the cow a full dose of LA 200, should beable to get it at about any farm supply store. This is considered the miracle drug for about any animal. A full grown cow you will probably have to inject is about 7 or 8 different spots. If you know for sure she was pregnant then she could be sick with a dead calf. If you are inexperienced in testing for calves or giving shots, then call the vet.

farmboy1695":1whzzejg said:
Give the cow a full dose of LA 200, should beable to get it at about any farm supply store. This is considered the miracle drug for about any animal. A full grown cow you will probably have to inject is about 7 or 8 different spots. If you know for sure she was pregnant then she could be sick with a dead calf. If you are inexperienced in testing for calves or giving shots, then call the vet.

Maybe 20 years ago. There are so many antibiotics that are superior and directed to treating a specific problem that using LA200 unless it;s for pinkeye or foot rot (and even for foot rot there are better drugs) you're just lulling yourself into a sense of false security.

farmboy1695":ytf7fymj said:
Give the cow a full dose of LA 200, should beable to get it at about any farm supply store. This is considered the miracle drug for about any animal.

:shock: Yeah, right! I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but LA200 lost it's 'miracle drug' status about 15-20 years ago.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2szeb871 said:
msscamp":2szeb871 said:
farmboy1695":2szeb871 said:
Give the cow a full dose of LA 200, should beable to get it at about any farm supply store. This is considered the miracle drug for about any animal.

:shock: Yeah, right! I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but LA200 lost it's 'miracle drug' status about 15-20 years ago.

I heard that. Only thing I use it for is Pinkeye and it seems to knock it out pretty good if caught early. Foot rot sometimes it takes care of it sometimes it doesnt. Naxcel or excenel work better along with a shot of dex or banamine. Back in the day when I raised herefords for pinkeye we used to give them a shot of dex in the gland in their eyelid and a shot of pen and turn em out.

Why would anyone raise cattle for pinkeye?? Oh that's right i forgot who was posting :D

farmboy1695":1t4hy69g said:
This is considered the miracle drug for about any animal.

Suuuurrre it is... :roll: Sounds like someone is left behind in his times....there's sure a heck of a lot more drugs around than good ol' LA 200...

A full grown cow you will probably have to inject is about 7 or 8 different spots.

:shock: BS!! I'd say four different spots is at the most for injecting LA 200. Why bother poking a cow 7 or 8 times (into practically a pin cushion) when you could just poke her 2 or 4 times?? I know I wouldn't stand being poked with a needle 7 or 8 times...would you?

Latest posts