help settle a silly argument.... crossbred cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

lkspur66

Reaction score
I hope that someone can help to end a "fun" argument at the local coffee shop. It is over classifying crossbred cattle as "black baldies, black whiteface... etc. We have one party insisting that "black baldies" are true crosses of angus/hereford cattle resulting in black cattle with white faces. It is also thougt that the listings of sale reports with "blk-wht face" represent cattle with both black and white on their face... such as a brockel, NOT that they are black cattle with white faces. "Blk-wht" cattle are mixtures of angus/holstein, and others that may result in black cattle, with partial white faces, and white spotting on the belly. Other's in this coffee group say the exact opposit of above. That "blk-wht face cattle mean black cows with only white faces, and baldies have some black brockeling on their faces. Is there a clear standard ??? Do all salebarns reference cattle in the same manner ??/ Which one of my coffee argumenting friends is correct???? Thank you for any input on this.

If it's black with a mostly white face they are classified at the sale barn as BWF or black baldies depends on the auctineer

dun

I understand Black Baldy to be strictly hereford X Angus F1. Using a Brangus or Braford as one of the parents is called super baldy in the south.

In our area Black Baldy is an Angus cross with a white face whether it's a true F1 or some mixture of breeds. Black white face is the same type of animal and a brockel is a brockel....

sillco":18r2ta8s said:
I have always though that a "black baldie" was a black anmial with a white face of any cross. I know they are mostly Angus and Hereford base but could include other breeds such as Brahman.
Don't try to sell any animals as "Black Baldies" to order buyers or feedyards if they are not Angus X Hereford. Although there is no official designation mandated by the government; amongst order buyers, dealers, backgrounders, and feeders, the black X baldy is understood to be Angus X Hereford. Red Baldys are understood to be Red Angus X Hereford.
Black whiteface can be Angus X Holstein, Angus X Hereford X Holstein or about anything else as long as they are just that; black with whiteface.

If an order buyer can't tell the differnce he better have a real understanding boss.

dun

la4angus":39gedl17 said:
sillco":39gedl17 said:
I have always though that a "black baldie" was a black anmial with a white face of any cross. I know they are mostly Angus and Hereford base but could include other breeds such as Brahman.
Don't try to sell any animals as "Black Baldies" to order buyers or feedyards if they are not Angus X Hereford. Although there is no official designation mandated by the government; amongst order buyers, dealers, backgrounders, and feeders, the black X baldy is understood to be Angus X Hereford. Red Baldys are understood to be Red Angus X Hereford.
Black whiteface can be Angus X Holstein, Angus X Hereford X Holstein or about anything else as long as they are just that; black with whiteface.

dun":13kapkrg said:
If an order buyer can't tell the differnce he better have a real understanding boss.

dun

la4angus":13kapkrg said:
sillco":13kapkrg said:
Dun, about any order buyer can tell the difference, but a lot of feeder cattle are bought sight unseen over the phone by the major buyer and/or the feedyard, mostly through the order buyers rep. I hope this clarifies my comment.

Around here any black calf with a white face is a black baldie or BWF. If it has a motley face it's a BMF at most sale barns. Some people will still call it a black baldie.

Craig-TX

Thank you so much for your imput. If I am to understand you all correctly..... :

A black cow with a complete white face is referred to as a Baldie,(Hereford X Angus), and if there is ANY black spotting on it's face, it should be referred to as a black/whiteface... not a Baldie ???

Do I got it right?

L.

Depends on where you are. If you look at some of the seedstock producers, even registered Herefords come with brockle faces, some with freckles, some with not as much white as is considered usual.

dun

lkspur66":325k3sw6 said:
Thank you so much for your imput. If I am to understand you all correctly..... :

A black cow with a complete white face is referred to as a Baldie,(Hereford X Angus), and if there is ANY black spotting on it's face, it should be referred to as a black/whiteface... not a Baldie ???

Do I got it right?

L.

it might be a Simmental, or what you guys said. I still think it's a Simmental 8)

Out West, we simplify things. All black and whites are called Black whiteface or BWF and all red and white regardless they re PB Herefords or Shorthorns are Red Whiteface or RWF. All greys are Rattails; all whites are simply Whites and Reds are just Reds. All blacks are considered the imfamous Angus regardless of their percentage. Commerical breeders raise "Heinz 57" or raise "Rainbow Coalition Cattle: got all colors in one herd". Some of the SMART breeders are not prejuiced towards color as long their cows produce 500-700lbs calves by the first snowfall. These breeders are often the one are the most productive (not often the most profitable). The "All Blacks" breeders are too blind to see pass the colors to see their productivity of their own cattle....far too many of their calves have too many flaws. Thats my opinion.

Latest posts