Help read EPD

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
I have no clue about reading EPDs so if I could get some help reading mine
here it is.
Thank you.
EPD.png

You have a fairly well bred cow. :D On CE(calving ease) a higher number is better. She's not great on CE but is above average. BW, WW, YW is for birth, weining, and yearling weight respectively and is expressed in pounds so genetically they expect her to throw calves that average 1.1 pounds more than the average Charolais but they should calve fairly easily. Her calves are expected to be 29lbs above average at weining time and 52 at year old... Good growth.
Milk is an aproximation of how much she'll help her calves grow with her milk output, positive means above average. MCE is maternal calving ease which is a measurement of how easily her daughters will calve and again positive is better. Sc is scrotal circumferance which is used to evaluate bulls for their fertility.
Cwt, REA, Fat, Marb, are carcass traits. It's carcass weight, rib eye area, backfat, and marbling. You have zero's for those traits becase no information was provided to the association about carcass traits for your cow.
The pedigree part reads like a family tree... Notice that vcr sir duke 914 is on both the top and bottom of the tree? That's okay as it's a ways back in her pedigree but when you breed her back you'll want to find something without that bull in his pedigree or at least a few generations back. When you choose a bull that you like compare his family tree to your cows and make sure there aren't to many similarities.

Her EPD's are fine but I think the VCR Sir Duke 914 pld is a very good thing to have in the ancestors. I think with these EPD's and with how she looks she should be a very good cow for the future. I have forgot, what did you breed her too. I would not care if it was VCR Sir Duke 914 PLD himself.

Just a quick note...M6 MS DUKE 009 PLD, the maternal granddam of your heifer is the dam of M6 E46'S DUKE 248 PLD. "248" is one of the the most prolific and popular cow in the Charoalis breed. I have 9 clones of 248. I hope the heifer and her future calf work out well for you. As Kenny suggested, being linebred to 914 is a very good thing.

The "%" numbers under the EPDs show where her EPDs rank within the Charolais breed. She looks to be a well balanced heifer.

Cowpollinater got a few things wrong on WW and YW. The WW of 29 is not 29 lbs above average, and YW is not 52 lbs above average. Both of these are above the breed average but the average is not 0. Go to American International Charolais Association and look at the breed EPD averages under the Performance tab on the front page.
CSM

CSM":3bgihg45 said:
Cowpollinater got a few things wrong on WW and YW. The WW of 29 is not 29 lbs above average, and YW is not 52 lbs above average. Both of these are above the breed average but the average is not 0. Go to American International Charolais Association and look at the breed EPD averages under the Performance tab on the front page.
CSM

Weining and yearling weights are compared to a base population which resets every five years. Her WW is 29lbs greater than that of her base. What you're seeing in the graphs from the association is how fast the breed as a whole is moving away from the base. Once they reset what breed average is, this same cow will likely be more like a 15 on WW. For clarity:That doesn't mean that her calves weigh less in the future, it means the rest of the breed has progressed in this trait.

Latest posts