Help... possible dehydration... might loose one

Help Support CattleToday:

Lost another one today. He was fine on Wednesday, seemed slow and was not eating quite as much on Thursday and yesterday it was all he could do to get up and he would barely eat. I did not see him scouring but was giving electrolytes, owner gave him a couple shots... Last night, He tried to get up and it was like his back legs didn't work. I knew then, and I was dreading going out this morning.

We have another one that is sick too. He is up and eating, but he does not eat as much as the others, still scouring and has a runny nose. Need to do a little research I guess.

The other 3 are doing great, have increased their replacer intake by 2 pints a day (total 10 pts and soon to go up again) and usually want more. They are not eating much of the grain yet if any on their own. They will eat a little off my hands after bottles are done.

We have a probios product called Protexin that can be mixed into the milk replacer on a daily basis as a preventative measure. It works wonderfull to keep them healthy and also to get them back to normal after a bout of scours.

Hi all, little update.

3 of my boys are doing great. One, I hope is on the road to recovery. They all got shots of some strong antibiotics yesterday and the one that was down seems to be doing better this AM. He has another issue but hopefully that will be gone soon as well. Thank you for all the recipes. I used the simple one of sugar salt and baking soda (minus the spectam as they were given pills for scours) someone posted. I think that helped as well. I may try using the tea mix today, we will see how they are 'going' later.

BTW, the dad is pretty sure that not all of them got the colostrum and was why they got sick so easy so fast. He was mad at the son about not getting them the substitute stuff first thing as we may not have lost any. Lesson learned I hope (well at least for me).

Thank you all again.

Latest posts