Help Please

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have recently acquired a 16 year old quarter horse, we have found that when we ride her, after we are done her back right fetlock swells. the vet said that it is degenerative, and the small bone in her "ankle" hits the ground when she trots/runs, thus only use her as a trail horse. My question, other than "living" with it, and giving her an anti-inflamatory paste, what else could I do to help her? thanks in advance for any help.

It sounds like it may have been caused by injury. I would talk to the person you bought her from to try and find out if that my be the case if that person doesn't know, they may be able to direct you to the person they bought her from. Nevertheless if you didn't now about this at the time of purchase and you can prove the owner did know, you have a case and could posibly get your money back or sue them for vet bills to fix it. Also Does she go lame after words or does it just swell. Sorry but other then that I'm at a loss. Hope I've helped some. Breyanna

[email protected]

You might try the Sports Medicine Boot II. When applied properly they provide support for the fetlock and would certainly cushion any shock or jarring. You can do a google search and find lots of places to buy them on line. You want the one where the bottom strap goes under the fetlock and comes up lika a sling. they are made by Professional's Choice. Try: <A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=sports+medicine+boots&spell=1" TARGET="_blank">http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=sports+medicine+boots&spell=1</A> You can even find them on E-Bay. Medium should fit any QH fine. They do fit a good range of sizes.

[email protected]

It's possible corrective shoeing by an expert farrier can help the horse a bit. It's definitely worth looking into. Note I didn't recommend just any farrier, but an expert farrier.

You may well be dealing with bone changes from an old injury, or simply from hard use.

I just want to caution you on the use of the anti-inflammatory. Learn all you can about this class of drugs and their use in horses. Horses are very susceptible to ulcers, and overuse of anti-iflammatory drugs can actually cause ulcers. Just be careful and use the drug properly.

If you are so inclined, you may want to talk to the person you bought the horse from. If you're not extremely attached to the horse, you may be able to work something out with the previous owner. On the other hand, it might be a case of buyer beware.

Good luck to you.

> I have recently acquired a 16 year
> old quarter horse, we have found
> that when we ride her, after we
> are done her back right fetlock
> swells. the vet said that it is
> degenerative, and the small bone
> in her "ankle" hits the
> ground when she trots/runs, thus
> only use her as a trail horse. My
> question, other than
> "living" with it, and
> giving her an anti-inflamatory
> paste, what else could I do to
> help her? thanks in advance for
> any help.

could be an injury, could be just wear and tear from the years of work. you bought an old horse, actually very old if you still want to ride her hard, so i would not put a lot of money in this horse trying to cure whatever is causing the fetlock to swell, but what you can do is just go very easy on her.

[email protected]

Latest posts