HELP!! PLEASE!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Patches9211

Reaction score
Hi, I have a show heifer and i put her in with a bull to be bred. its been like 3 or 4 days since then. i brought her back to the barn yesterday. i went to feed her and noticed she wasnt acting like her self. she was lying down and i thought she looked bloated. i got her up and found out she wasnt. she turned around and was acting like she was having a calf. and when i looked i saw something in her... Privite Area i geuss you could say. It was about the size of a baseball and was either black or dark brown. it had this Whiteish tan sudstance on it. i only saw it for a second or two. i dont know what it is. can anyone help me? i just saw it about 30 to 40 minutes ago. i dont know what it is. :frowns:

are you absolutely sure she has never been around bulls? maybe at the show? does she have an udder at all? because it sounds to me like she is either prolapsing or calving.

can you take a picture of her vulva and post it here?

Just got back from the vets! we finally took her. my dad thought she was aborting a calf the way it looked to him. but the vet said that our bull most be an agressive breeder because she has an infection caused by rips and tears in her vagina. it looks really gross. but we have to give her 40 cc's of pinacillin (<-not good at spelling) daily for a week and spray her infected area 3 or 4 times with this stuff i dont remeber what its called. But thanks for the help. :tiphat:

Thanx again! And how does your little beginner statuas thingy change? can i change it or is it how long youve been on the site or do ppl rate you? :D

Glad you took her to the vet too. Everyone here tries to give you the best advice possible, but when you need a vet, use them! The advice given here is worth at least as much as you pay for it.

Oh man. :frowns: I dont think that heifer is going to make it. poor girl just keeps getting worse and worse. i dont think she'll live. if she does she most likly will never breed. Poor poor girl. :cry2: im so sad now. you can tell by looking at her that she just hurts all over. she cant hardly walk as it is. it takes her everything she has to even stand up. i just wish there was something more that i could do to help. But i just cant see her being bred after this, IF she lives. :cry2: ill keep you updated. i just hope she makes it.

Patches9211":1rvmeb69 said:
NO!!! We do not eat our heifers! we eat steers!! Thats all a steer is good for is to be eaten!! steers shouldnt even be shown if you ask me!!! :mad:

Not all heifers should be bred. The majority of them should be eaten just like steers.

Ask your vet to give you a couple of syringes with banamine (it's a pain killer) -- it will give her the best chance she's got while she works through the infection...

...and needless to say, she should be kept in a smaller pen without a bull (other heifers and/or steers would be OK), they are herd animals so they typically stay calmer when not isolated.

Give the meds some time to work -- they do --

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

she is back in her pen with the other show heifers. she is eating a little more now so it is working. thank you for your help. but when she is fully healed we are going to take her to the vet and let him examine her and see if there is a chance of her breeding again. or even haveing a calf. but i wont show her anymore. i have another heifer im about to pull up and start day breaking. she is amazing. i have a feeling she is going to be a grand champ just like my Shorthorn Plus Patches!! Im so excited. i cant wait to bring her up. :banana:

I am glad you are considering the future outcomes may not be favorable for her. If by some miracle her repro tract heals and she can be breedable AI her.

I have never heard of a bull that aggressive good luck with her and you did the right thing by seeing a vet.

Just curious but, If she is unbreedable what are you going to do with her ,lawn ornament?

Patches9211":2ffpmxxo said:
NO!!! We do not eat our heifers! we eat steers!! Thats all a steer is good for is to be eaten!! steers shouldnt even be shown if you ask me!!! :mad:

Hey now, if you have ever eaten meat from a source other than your own, chances are you have actually eaten a heifer. They are sold for meat not always as often as steers but there is still a large majority that are.

And what's wrong if I want to show a steer? I show him as an animal he is then sold and slaughtered and judged on his carcass. What's wrong with competing in an event designed to tell you the quality of your produce.

Cattle are bred to be eaten. Cut steers some slack. Don't be so small minded. If she can't breed all she is good for is meat. Sad but true. The cattle industry isn't just about showing. Maybe you should look into that fact. :devil2:

Patches9211":1si0usnh said:
YES WE DO EAT HEIFERS!!!!!!! I worked on a kill floor and trust me there is a bunch of heifers killed .If you are that tender hearted maybe you should stop showing cattle maybe need to look at showing dogs.

Latest posts