Help Please

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeereboy

Reaction score
So today I put hay in, and then took the ATV out to look at the cattle. I noticed one cow with alot of foam at the mouth, what could this be. So i went out later, and turned the ATV off, as she was walking to the hay, and she was weezing (I think that is the best word to describe it). What could this be wrong?

Lock her up and take a temp.

It could be numerous things..If the temp is elevated or really low you need to take action asap. Also feel her ears if they are really cold she is probably ill..

Could be anything
What is her temp That is a start

could be pnemonia
could be woody tongue
could be lumpy jaw
could be a sore tooth

If you are unsure what to do, call your vet. Ask the vet the questions and learn from the vet if the vet fixes the cow up

like HD said, get her in somewhere and get a closer look. Could be bloat, any of the other things suggested, or something caught in her throat.

Wire? Thorn? Wasp or bee sting? Stealing milk from another cow? I can go on. There's really no telling until you actually determine.

What was the outcome of your cow?

We noticed one of our heifers foaming at the mouth, weight loss, and laying down a lott. I found her dead on Friday, a week after her symptoms started. Now her bull calf (2 months old) has started foaming at the mouth. We are concerned about the rest of our herd.

Boles-Key Farm Boys":32jllcda said:
What was the outcome of your cow?

We noticed one of our heifers foaming at the mouth, weight loss, and laying down a lott. I found her dead on Friday, a week after her symptoms started. Now her bull calf (2 months old) has started foaming at the mouth. We are concerned about the rest of our herd.

if you are concerned about the herd, time to get a vet in!

Well she is still living, I go out and check on her every now and then, and when I put hay in I look at her. I talked with my dad, and he said there is no point in calling a vet, because he didnt want a $200+ bill for a $750 cow. She is still living, and eating, and grazing. I have noticed a decline in the foam, but she still weezes.

No offense JDB but if you plan on to continue with cattle when you are older I do hope you are a better producer than your father. If you do not want to call a vet the very least you should do is take her temp and administer antibiotics if needed..If (your father) does not want to call a vet then he had better be equipped to look after all of his cattle as the need arises...

I wonder how many "750$" cattle have been lost due to incompetence or neglect..

Good luck and you sound like a very genuine and caring individual which will actually take you farther in this business than being callous.. :wave: ...

Boy, I agree with that. I don't understand anyone owning livestock and not willing to "pay the price" to have a vet come out for a sickness or injury. Does it make more sense to lose a $750 cow? :roll:

After vet if cow lived it would be $550.00 don't understand how thats worse than $000.00.Even if cow died after you may be able to save next one if ever happened again.How many $750.00 cows have to die before it becomes profitable to call vet ?

johndeereboy,nothing against you but I don't understand.

What if this "foaming at the mouth" turns out to be something contagious and spreads through your entire herd, or into a neighbor's herd?? The cost of calling the vet would appear very cheap compared to the potential losses. I believe there is a moral and economic responsibility to call in medical help in many situations.

MOST DEFINATELY CALL A VET. A VET BILL IS SMALL PRICE TO PAY COMPARED TO ENTIRE HERD OF CATTLE LOST.....YOURS OR NEIGHBORS. :clap:

Latest posts