Help Please !

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sure you've probably heard this before- if it works, it's called line-breeding, and if it doesn't it's called inbreeding. Line breeding is a good way to emphasize good traits in your herd, but it also will bring out all the bad. But since you say the heifer has a good confirmation, I wouldn't worry too much about her past but breed to the best bull you can to ensure the future calves are of good quality

Well this heifer had her calf Mar.11. I am not impressed at all. He's kind of scrawny looking. So guess he'll be freezer meat. Now I understand alot more about line breeding and inbreeding.
4-4-07008.jpg

Update on my masculine looking heifer. She had a bull calf mar.8... Now I like this bull calf. He's growing like a weed.
4-4-07024.jpg

Joy,

They grow better on the outside and on the ground.

Let us know what you think in a few months.

They both look like perky beefmaster calves to us!

i think the calf will come around but 228 needs some help. is that his ma?

edit*i guess i cant really say that based on one picture but she sure looks like shes having a bad day in that particular photo.

Beefy,I don't know whats wrong with her. I've wormed her about a week before the picture. I put out minerals and stuff for them. Can you think of anything else I can check for or do for her ?
Cowboyup, there is more than just weeds in that pasture. Thats just where they were standing in the front part. It's only 40 acres there and the guy that owns it .Just let us put a few head over there. It needs to be shredded,but we've gotten so much rain in the last few weeks we can't take the tractor in there.

Joy in Texas":16to8dan said:
Beefy,I don't know whats wrong with her. I've wormed her about a week before the picture. I put out minerals and stuff for them. Can you think of anything else I can check for or do for her ?
Cowboyup, there is more than just weeds in that pasture. Thats just where they were standing in the front part. It's only 40 acres there and the guy that owns it .Just let us put a few head over there. It needs to be shredded,but we've gotten so much rain in the last few weeks we can't take the tractor in there.

Joy in Texas, You may have a problem with toxicity from the buttercups. They have the little yellow flowers on them. It looks like all they have to eat in the photo is buttercups. Do a search, but I think this could be a real problem.

Joy, i think she suffers from First Calf Heifer Syndrome or FCHS. at this stage there isnt a whole lot you can do as everything is going straight to the calf. you may have to wait until weaning for her to improve significantly and who knows if she will be bred or not by then? or she may have just been having a bad day or been feeling under the weather. is this the heifer that was inlinebred? if so, that might explain her unthriftyness. how did the calving go? how does she milk?

hillsdown":3er536e8 said:
It may be the picture but it looks like both those calves have umbilical hernias.

I don't see it. When you have a bos indicus influenced calf with a umbilical hernia, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Those in the pic look completely normal to me (for bos indicus influenced cattle)

Beefy":3gye1w1p said:
Joy, i think she suffers from First Calf Heifer Syndrome or FCHS. at this stage there isnt a whole lot you can do as everything is going straight to the calf. you may have to wait until weaning for her to improve significantly and who knows if she will be bred or not by then? or she may have just been having a bad day or been feeling under the weather. is this the heifer that was inlinebred? if so, that might explain her unthriftyness. how did the calving go? how does she milk?
Thanks Beefy, She has plenty of milk. And she is in/linebred. That what is kind of worrying me. She did fine on calving. We had to help the calf at first ,but he quickly figured out what he needed to suck on.
She just seems depressed. I guess thats the best way to describe her. I have 8 heifers in this pasture. I am taking a bull over there in June.
Thanks for your help.

Latest posts