HELP Please

Help Support CattleToday:

This may sound crazy, but decades ago I raised a few calves on a bottle, and always gave them a raw egg in the milk a couple times a week. I never had any problems with scours. Maybe I just got lucky, and it was a coincidence, but it won't hurt to try.

I may try that, I have used eggs with success before, but they seem to need to be farm fresh eggs to work.

Y'all are just trading un old wives' tales now.
The raw eggs are just a protein source...needed for proper function of the immune system and tissue repair...which would just as readily be provided by a good quality milk replacer. Any 'antibodies' - if any - which might be in an egg, fed to a calf, will be digested like any other protein.

Y'all are just trading un old wives' tales now.
The raw eggs are just a protein source...needed for proper function of the immune system and tissue repair...which would just as readily be provided by a good quality milk replacer. Any 'antibodies' - if any - which might be in an egg, fed to a calf, will be digested like any other protein.
That is also what I heard.
About the ol wives tales...
Your other information is very helpful!

When I first started raising calves I was die hard, use eggs for Scours, (because that's what my mentor used) we had our own chickens, they always seemed to help, then we didn't have our own chickens, and store eggs didn't do a thing, so I started using electrolytes. Old wives tale, maybe? But I had several calves that the vet had no hope for, and after dumping eggs down them, they rallied and went on to be just fine.

Give them a sustain 3 calf bolus and another in 3 days. It sounds like you did not treat them long enough

I treated them for a 10 day to 2 week time period, they would have scours for 2or 3 days it would clear up the Scours they wouldn't have scours for 2or 3 days then get them back. They were getting a slow release medicine that lasted for 1 week. It turned out that they had worms and once they were wormed they they all got better! 2 of the calves had to be wormed twice with a paste dewormer because they had such a heavy work load.

Latest posts