Help picking a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Purchased my first reg. angus heifer yesterday she's out of wmr timeless 458. Now comes the hard part for me, trying to decide what to ai her to this spring. She was owned by a university and I talked to the person who ran there cow herd at the sale he said they've had good luck breeding her full sisters to hoover dam. We have a hoover son on another farm but do t think my grandad ever messed with papers on him. But I do really like the calves we've got so far. Thinking of taking his suggestion and ai to hoover dam. Any suggestions or comments on him or recommendations on an other low bw bull. Thanks

I think you will like that Timeless heifer, if you can find it, Really Windy 4097(15776681)has worked well on Timeless heifers, will not make dink cattle, you will have performance. 4097 is not readily available. This year I bred all my Timeless heifers to Sitz Lightning(17176063)time will tell on this one.

I have used Hoover Dam on some of my registered Angus cows and heifers, for 3 years. I liked the calves pretty well. Have 2 daughters, one had her first calf last year, and bred back quickly. The other is ready to have her first calf any time. I also used a son of Hoover Dam for a cleanup bull on heifers last year. The other post mentioned Really Windy, ABS has a son, VDAR Wind Break, that I have thought about as a possibility for heifers.

My trouble is going to be finding someone to ai. Figured it'll be hard to get somebody out for a few head. There is a guy locally who ai's groups of heifers for cph sales might be able to run some thru when he does his. I was flipping tru select sires and seen a bull "absolute" I think was his name I really liked him and his #s looked good

Found a vet in the next county over that does ai. Hey said have the semen shipped to them and they'll store it till I need it. Going to do timed ai I think they said Cidir and 3 trips up there. I'm obviously new to this so I'm going g to just go with which ever protocol they recommend. Still undecided on bull, ced is a must as she is first time heifer, after that I'm mainly looking for maternal characteristics hoping to retain heifers and start building from here.

Ky cowboy":23c8of94 said:
Purchased my first reg. angus heifer yesterday she's out of wmr timeless 458. Now comes the hard part for me, trying to decide what to ai her to this spring. She was owned by a university and I talked to the person who ran there cow herd at the sale he said they've had good luck breeding her full sisters to hoover dam. We have a hoover son on another farm but do t think my grandad ever messed with papers on him. But I do really like the calves we've got so far. Thinking of taking his suggestion and ai to hoover dam. Any suggestions or comments on him or recommendations on an other low bw bull. Thanks

A bull that I have seen some nice cattle sired by and that is an outcross with most cows, has great calving ease, and has a ton of mama cowmaker maternal bloodlines and good feet and udders in his pedigree is Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V... Especially if you want to moderate frame size a little ...

http://bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1784

A bull that I have seen some nice cattle sired by and that is an outcross with most cows, has great calving ease, and has a ton of mama cowmaker maternal bloodlines and good feet and udders in his pedigree is Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V... Especially if you want to moderate frame size a little ...

http://bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1784[/quote]

I do like the looks of him and his #s look good to me. Definitely one to keep in mind. Thanks for suggestion

Latest posts