Help...orphaned colt

Help Support CattleToday:

Lissa0406

Reaction score
How can I get a 2 week old filly to suck a bottle...we lost the mare and the baby wont nurse the bottle...HELP QUICK

Try, try and try again. We had an orphan foal this year to. It's quite expensive. You have to be careful to follow directions and use the right milk replacer. I would put a larger hole in the nipple and see if it'll run in there until he/she figures out this does really taste o.k. and your only trying to help. It's hard with a colt because you can't stick them between your legs when your trying to get them to take a bottle like you can a calf. Some are just more stubborn than others. Maybe you can get it to drink insted?

I am using foal-lac....is there another one...she has not eaten since about 8 this morning...thats when we lost the mare....I forced a small amount down tonight but she seems weak...Is there a trick to this??

Lissa0406":8g2tskqz said:
I am using foal-lac....is there another one...she has not eaten since about 8 this morning...thats when we lost the mare....I forced a small amount down tonight but she seems weak...Is there a trick to this??

Foals need to nurse very frequently and very small amounts when they're that young. This colt more than likely won't make it if you don't get something down her. I would call a vet on call and see if theres something else you could give her to help.

Every two hours. Day and night. Try honey or molasses on the tip of the bottle. Anything. I haven't tried this but have heard from others to put some of moms hide on the bottle for the smell. Good luck.
P.S. why did you lose the mother. ours died one week after foaling because her gut never got relaxed and back right again.

Miss Daisy":ypibk5h2 said:
Every two hours. Day and night. Try honey or molasses on the tip of the bottle. Anything. I haven't tried this but have heard from others to put some of moms hide on the bottle for the smell. Good luck.
P.S. why did you lose the mother. ours died one week after foaling because her gut never got relaxed and back right again.
I had to bottle feed one this year due to the mare not having any milk.It won't be used to the nipple at first but you just have to keep repeating and trying and maybe squirting a little down her till she gets the hang of it.Good luck with the colt

Better have a good vet on stand by if you can't get her to eat pretty quick. He/she can probably give you some good tips on getting her to eat.

Alan

:( What has happened? I have raised 4 draft colts on buckets. ( Mares were on fescue and had no milk! :x )
They all took right off drinking from a pail--- had no luck at all with a bottle. I used foal lac for awhile, but it got mighty
expensive, so I did find a replacer at tractor supply that is
NOT medicated and they did fine on it. :D

My wife is a vet tech, and is always bringing in orphaned critters that people find and bring to the clinic. someone gave her a orphaned colt, she could not get it to suck a bottle, but she got her to drink milk from a ice cream bucket. She has more money in that darn colt,than you could have bought a grown horse already broke to ride.

oscar p":uwlxafby said:
My wife is a vet tech, and is always bringing in orphaned critters that people find and bring to the clinic. someone gave her a orphaned colt, she could not get it to suck a bottle, but she got her to drink milk from a ice cream bucket. She has more money in that darn colt,than you could have bought a grown horse already broke to ride.

but i bet it makes her happy ;-)

Success....she is drinking out of a pail as of Friday....she takes about 33 to 36 cups a day and loves it....she wont eat the foal lac pellets but thats ok for now....does anyone know what the next step is and how soon that should be brought in...thanks for everything

Latest posts