Help on a Class Assignment

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleHand

Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a course where we have to come up with new inventions or improvements that haven't been patented yet. Was wondering if any of you guys have come across anything that I may want to research or other ideas that could be helpful. Or perhaps problems you encounter (no matter how small) that could be changed a bit to make them easier.

One idea I had was a trying to figure a way to keep a cow from choking herself when you get her in a chute by her getting down on her knees (happens alot when im helping my grandpa and he had actually mentioned it this december before i was in the class).

1. I have some ideas for cell phone users such as advertisements sent to cell phones while shopping that could offer discounts, mall gps in the phone (i know i get lost if i ever go into one)

2. a canvas over the bike racks here on campus. So any ideas or thoughts to speculate over would be greatly appreciated.

3.The Bumper Dumper- A portable seat that could hook to the bumper of a truck and support at least 250 lbs. You dig a whole, hook up your "Bumper Dumper" and take care of nature while in nature if you are a big hunter or such.

4. Installing an "outlet" on the end corner of pick-ups that a small utility poll could be applied to as a way to provide light into the back of a truck. Pole would also have outlets for 120v plug, 12volt DC, and cigarette lighter, so that you could plug in almost any device used by outdoorsment/hunters. This addresses the problem that they can neverget enough light in the back of the truck of a simple/quick way to plug in equipment they need.

5."Foldable" Attic Flooring- Attic space in many city homes is unused and is therefore alot of lost space. Using plywood can be difficult to install for one person and it can be clumbsy and greater change of damage to ventillation in the attic and attic floor/ceiling of the house. I was thinking of developing flooring that could fold over its self with hinges (like an accordian). It woudl be easy to get into the attack and then you could unfold it so that the hinges brace any weight put onto it.

A disclaimer to avoid hurt feelings is any ideas posted I may expand on and I could end up turning in. So I'd prefer things to think about improving rather than your actual improvments. It would also just be interesting to see the conversation that could develop and any critisicm on my ideas.

I really like the foldable flooring idea. You make it. I'll probably buy some!

I also remember my dad's lower half hanging through the ceiling into the kitchen after he made a misstep in the attic getting a punch bowl down. Little legs just kicking back and forth. Company at the front door. Sorry no pics.

branDcalf":2hzo4250 said:
I really like the foldable flooring idea. You make it. I'll probably buy some!

I also remember my dad's lower half hanging through the ceiling into the kitchen after he made a misstep in the attic getting a punch bowl down. Little legs just kicking back and forth. Company at the front door. Sorry no pics.

Thanks, im planning on really expanding that one for my final project. We turn in 4 ideas every 2 weeks and have one big project by the end of the semster

Was at the ag show yesterday and the new chutes have a braced pole that the cow or bull will straddle, it is about a foot high and it will keep them from choking if they go down in the chute.
Can't think of anything right now, but will ponder some more.

Cattle Ear Tattoo ink that is easy to see in black cattle. Maybe something that is glows when you shine a flashlight in it. After watching the sift at the Ft. Worth Jr. show, this product could have sped up the lines.

how's about something that blows the water out of the hose in the winter, or perhaps they already have something like that, if so please let me know where I can get one. I think it is the worst job in the winter to drain a hose.

;-)

Good idea farm princess. I will begin to come up with some ideas for the hose thing right now, I really like that idea. What does everyone think about the foldable flooring? It could make working in attics alot easier also. Could be used as a platform when working on ventilation etc.

I think it is a good idea! a lot of people would probably use it instead of doing it the regular way, which is alot harder!! And with it being able to fold up it would be alot easier for it to be moved to the place you need it!! keep working on that idea and don't forget about the hose one too!! Keep up the good work!!

;-)

fat person's ladder. improve ladders with wider (thats front to back, not side to side, although that might not be so bad either). Standing on a ladder KILLS my feet - figure out a way to make the rungs wider or some kind of add-on product to put on the two or three rungs you end up standing on.

I like the flooring and hose ideas. It'd also be nice if you could make idiot repellant. :lol:

How about a dial a cure for cattle diseases. I always thought it would be nice to have a simple key that you can use to determine what ails the cow or calf. Like a plant id key, you could key out the disease by the animals age, symptoms etc. until you narrow it down to the probable problem. Once determined, codes could be used to signify different treatment options.

I envision this being made out of a heavy waterproof paper or plastic which can withstand weather and general abuse. I'm sure you would have to have a nice disclaimer on it For Information Purposes Only but I do think it would be helpful in narrowing down ailments in cattle without having to always refer back to lengthy descriptions in books.

Jogeephus":1te0fyqw said:
How about a dial a cure for cattle diseases. I always thought it would be nice to have a simple key that you can use to determine what ails the cow or calf. Like a plant id key, you could key out the disease by the animals age, symptoms etc. until you narrow it down to the probable problem. Once determined, codes could be used to signify different treatment options.

I envision this being made out of a heavy waterproof paper or plastic which can withstand weather and general abuse. I'm sure you would have to have a nice disclaimer on it For Information Purposes Only but I do think it would be helpful in narrowing down ailments in cattle without having to always refer back to lengthy descriptions in books.

I will defenetly look into that. Have never seen a plant id key so it may take me some time. I finished the hose prototype (if it can be called that I just used powerpoint to put pictures togather that represented what I thought could be done.)

The flooring is giving me a rought time, initially i figured using hinges to connect boards or sheets of medal but the problem is that could be hard to roll out in an attic and apply two support beams that would be necessary. So we will see what I get and I will let you guys know before long. Thanks for the help guys, the ideas are great.

It'd also be nice if you could make idiot repellant.

I already have one I use. It's called a "mirror". I'm often confused as to which way to turn it though!!

farm princess":384qqon6 said:
how's about something that blows the water out of the hose in the winter, or perhaps they already have something like that, if so please let me know where I can get one. I think it is the worst job in the winter to drain a hose.

;-)
Along that same line, what about a hose with a heat tape incorporated into it.

Larry

farm princess":i78glgl8 said:

;-)

The solution is rather simple:

Using a portable air tank, affix a quick-connect (e.g., Nelson Brand) attachment to end of hose with a lever-activated blow device (readily available). Affix rubber "gasket" around the end of blow tube (they may already be available) and blow out the hose.

Less cumbersome that WE do: Disconnect hose from faucet, stretch out hose heading downhill direction. Self-draining.

invetion2.png

This is what I came up with. You could hook up an air compressor and blow out the air. The lever would stop the air from blowing back into your pipes.

Is this what you were talking about Running Arrow Bill.

Latest posts