Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Help Support CattleToday:

GB this old man penned and worked cows the last two days and I got way too hot.
I had my hand doing the vaccinations as well.
Penning the second day was the stupid tax I had to pay for the first day.
Working cattle is stressful on them and dangerous to us.
The better your pen design the less of both stress and danger exposure there is.

Brute 23":3a4b0jie said:
That's what I have CB.

Very similar to mine cept I put my down bracing pipe every six feet and used 4x4 panel much stronger than 6x6.
Looking back I should have went every four feet.
That comes with a different set of problems.
The entire pen is a solid weld octagon top and bottom and across the gates.
The amazing thing to me was the Tigers in general were much calmer in that design versus wood. This one s just my opinion they didn't feel as trapped.
This pen design is the culmination of 20 plus years of O Shyt and look at what I have to fix. Is it perfect no such thing.
Brute if I had it to do over I would take my design and build the entire pen out of drill stem, that would be close to perfect.

My gates are 4x4 panels with 3 horizontal runners.

I made them take 4x4 out of the crowding area because it was a death trap. There was no climbing out. My foot does not fit in 4x4.

I've had hogs break the welds on 4x4 panels on hog traps too.

Brute 23":3nvhpupc said:
My gates are 4x4 panels with 3 horizontal runners.

I made them take 4x4 out of the crowding area because it was a death trap. There was no climbing out. My foot does not fit in 4x4.

I've had hogs break the welds on 4x4 panels on hog traps too.

That is the reason I hung corral panel to climb.

Those pens are at our main, home place. For as much as I say I don't like them I have used them with out a hitch for 15 years.

All I ask is if the find me balled up in a corner one day i want all the CT members to torch them off... sell them for scrap iron... then blow the money on hookers and alcohol.

Brute 23":3dpre2xh said:
Those pens are at our main, home place. For as much as I say I don't like them I have used them with out a hitch for 15 years.

All I ask is if the find me balled up in a corner one day i want all the CT members to torch them off... sell them for scrap iron... then blow the money on hookers and alcohol.

Old gates or corral panel strategically hung sure will make you feel better and it is pretty cheap insurance.

I tried cattle panels with wood the first time and didnt care for them. Takes a lot of wood. After the wood and panel for about the same cost I bought the solid steel panels. They are moveable later if you want to expand and over 6 foot tall, did my whole coral in them. They are not the hollow cheap crud at tractor supply, my cattle would toss those into the air. These have held through some rough cattle. They link together and I put wood post sunk in concrete to support the place they connect. In the part where they form my cattle chute I used old electric poles for the post. You need something pretty heavy that can withstand loading a big bull.

Building my coral alone and on a budget this has worked fine. As long as I keep it painted it will last until I am dead and gone. I also have moveable panels I use inside to seperate it off into smaller pens or make alleys when needed.

The only problem with that mesh right to the ground is that dogs don't like working in it, they like to know they can duck under it when needed.

Ken

The wire cattle panels are fine. Works best in combination with pipe but have seen put up with wood and last a long time. The trick is to put a board on top and one in the middle of the cattle panel and a post every 8 foot. I have personally seen corrals with this design that have over 500 head several times a year ran through them. That are over 20 years old and in good shape

wbvs58":3ja4do1p said:
The only problem with that mesh right to the ground is that dogs don't like working in it, they like to know they can duck under it when needed.

Ken

A dog is the last of thing I want in a cow pen when I am working cows.
If I can't catch mine with a bucket of cubes I need a better cow.

Caustic Burno":h7utwnz0 said:
wbvs58":h7utwnz0 said:

Ken

A dog is the last of thing I want in a cow pen when I am working cows.
If I can't catch mine with a bucket of cubes I need a better cow.

Yes. But catching that wild witch to load her up can be a challenge. I get in to way to much helping of others. "Poppa can't do it anymore". The truth is Poppa hasn't been out to the pasture in months. I got that "1-800-sucker" tattoo on my forehead somewhere. They're always volunteering me to do something or another. There are time when I would like to volunteer a good dog to do the dirty work.

Caustic Burno":gs6bcce2 said:
LDEnterprises":gs6bcce2 said:
HML-167":gs6bcce2 said:
I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my request for help. I plan on incorporating the changes. It is great to have such experience available on this site.

LDEnterprises - these are the cattle panels I am talking about: https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... el-16.aspx

Like Brute already mentioned I'm not a fan of these panels. The welds break all the time and I've had calves literally go right through them. I'd look at oaks boards before those panels.

Mine is made up of 4x4" panel and drill stem and has been tested by some very salty F-1 tigers all have failed.
The neighbors 2200 lb sim Angus bull bounced off every side when I penned him for getting in my pasture.
Brute that pen is twenty years old and they ain't tore it up yet.
You put enough drill stem braces in and
welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.

A good 4x4 panel is in a different catagory then the panels that were shown.

Latest posts