HELP! Need easy recipes!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

ND_Vicxen

Reaction score
I'm stuck in a rut making the same recipes....spaghetti, taco pie, cheesy spaghetti...love them all, but am at the point of wearing them out! Does anyone have some easy recipes? I would like fast too but more worried about them being easy! :lol: Ive tried watching cooking shows but they always seem to use weird seasonings or spices or ingredients that the store doesn't carry or I can never find it! I just want normal food, nothing fancy and complicated. Thanks everyone! :wave:

Always been a hit with my family.

Taco Casserole

1 lb hamburger
Small onion chopped
Small can Pet Milk
1 can cream of chicken
1 can mushroom soup
1 small can taco sauce
1 small can green chilies
1 lb American cheese
Corn tortillas

Sauté beef and onion. Add milk, soups, taco sauce, chilies and cheese. Cook until the cheese melts. Add beef and onion. Quarter tortillas and line baking dish. Add mixture and layer until all ingredients are used. Bake at 350F until melted and hot throughout.

My last minute stand-bys

Hamburger w/elbow noodles
Brown hamburger
Add twice as much water as elbows(I like the bigger ones). Bring the water to a boil then add elbows.
crushed tomatoes- I like a big can, daughter prefers a small can.
Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs Montreal steak seasoning.
Cover and cook on low till macaroni is done(stir half way thru) avoid opening the cover too much.

Taco salad
Just put out all the normal taco fillings but put them together as a salad and use low salt tortillas to scoop it up.

Meat loaf

Parmigiana chicken
Frozen breaded chicken breasts- cooked and mozzerella added just before done
Basic spaghetti and sauce(Ragu three cheese is my favorite- if I don't make my own)
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese

Kids favorite- stir fry
marinate cut up chicken in soy sauce/oil- 4 or more hrs.
Brown in HOT pan
Cook broccoli (They don't like crunchy broccoli so I precook it in microwave)
Add to chicken
Add Ramen noodle Beef seasoning packets
And enough water to moisten.
cook ramen noodles pour off water.
Serve with stir fry on top.
I also add crunchy Asian noodles on top.

Can't give you measurements- haven't used any in years.

My favorite quick meal is steak and baked potato :)

I'd suggest going to a bookstore and buying a quick and easy cookbook....Good Housekeeping has a good one too. Lots of them out their.

Can also find a bunch of sites online....

Throw out those "one course" meals...cook a good southern meal...some good friend up pork chops, black eyed peas, sweat potatoes, nice salad and a glass of whatever you like. If you don't want to fry the chops, just throw them in a skillet witha little cooking oil, no batter, cover, cook on low, turn occasionally, allow to brown dark..comes out almost like being on the grill. Use your head...otherwise just buy a butt load of pot pies and serve a different one every night. Alternate drinks between cheap wine, big red or RC Cola. :cowboy:

TexasBred":3nji5rby said:
Throw out those "one course" meals...cook a good southern meal...some good friend up pork chops, black eyed peas, sweat potatoes, nice salad and a glass of whatever you like. If you don't want to fry the chops, just throw them in a skillet witha little cooking oil, no batter, cover, cook on low, turn occasionally, allow to brown dark..comes out almost like being on the grill. Use your head...otherwise just buy a butt load of pot pies and serve a different one every night. Alternate drinks between cheap wine, big red or RC Cola. :cowboy:
You forgot to add the Moon Pies for desert with the RC cola

Since it's been so hot the lately, I've been craving salads for supper and came up with this one the other night.
I didn't actually measure anything at the time so these are estimates, and quantities would depend on how many you're serving. The first ingredients are just standard green salad fixin's, so use whatever you like/have on hand.

In a large bowl toss together:

Lettuce ( 2 cups)
shredded cabbage (1 cup)
cucumber (1/2 large)
carrot (1/4 c)
dried cranberries (1/4 c)
slivered almonds (handful)
sliced peaches, drained ( homemade pint jar)
ramen noodles (I used 2 pkgs for 2 ppl)
cook noodles, drain, rinse in cold water to chill. toss with seasoning packet. Add to vege's

Grilled & cubed chicken breast (or shrimp, steak, turkey whatever you like/have)
toss all together with your favorite dressing, I used creamy cucumber ranch.
Serve with your favorite beverage, we had wine :D

Thanks everyone!!! :wave: Looks like i have the rest of the week figured out now! Now ill ask again next week! :lol: juuuust kidding! ;-)

dun":1y4oqv9o said:
TexasBred":1y4oqv9o said:

You forgot to add the Moon Pies for desert with the RC cola
[/color]

I really like these ideas! :banana:

1982vett":3cuuku41 said:
I'd suggest going to a bookstore and buying a quick and easy cookbook....Good Housekeeping has a good one too. Lots of them out their.

Can also find a bunch of sites online....

Looking on Amazon and found some cook books for KIDS! That what i need! :lol: ;-)

Since I started working from home a few years back and have been burdened with most of the cooking, I have learned to try to plan a couple of meals ahead. What I mean is if I can get a roast or whole chicken in the oven a couple to three hours before dinner time I'll do that. I'll throw some peeled potatoes in with the roast or chicken little seasoning salt, a bit of water on the bottom of the pan and walk away. That's is night one, night two I'll butter and broil some hoagie sandwich rolls in until toasted, add sliced meat and cover with my favorite cheese, back under the broiler until melted, top with a few sautéed onions and/or mushrooms, spread ranch dressing or your choice of condiments. Or night two is French dips with oven cooked French fries. Night three, any left over meat goes in to a bag of frozen stir fry and in the skillet with a little soy. Now the kids are gone it's just my and I, but one trip to the store, one three hour cooking time (all I really have to do is prep the roast and tators in the morning and back in the fridge until time to cook. With a roast you can cook in a crock pot all day and bake the tators) followed by two meals of less then 15 minutes cooking time.

Geeze, after reading my post cooking is a chore for me :?

Good advice from all and good luck
Alan

i spent several nights a week at the ranch alone so i like to cook enough for lunch for the next day or two.

chicken quesadillas
season chicken breast to suit (i like cajun spice)
cook with onion,peppers, green chillies or however you like
after cooking, cut breast up into small pieces
put chicken, cheese, peppers, salsa, pico de gallo or (chicken and cheese alone works for kids) whatever on a tortilla then add cheese and top with another tortilla
cook in skillet on both sides till cheese is melted(like a grilled cheese sandwich)
cook extra for lunch the next day.
brisket is better than chicken just takes a lot longer to cook.

can't beat steak, eggs, biscuits and gravy then have left overs for breakfest the next morning

fajitas
i use a good cut of meat and cut it into strips
marinate for several hours
cook with onions and peppers
most times i just eat them with tortillas and salsa, but rice, beans, mexican corn makes for a better meal
you can also use the left over fajita meat for quesadillas the nest day.

then there is always roast with taters, black eyed pea's, corn, gravy and biscuits.

steak, mashed taters, beans, or peas or corn on the cobb

chicken breast and alfredo pasta
cook chicken
cook pasta
cut chicken into bite sizw pieces then mix in with pasta and serve with garlic toast.

now i;m hungry

Another of my favorites. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

Pork Tenderloin w/ (faux) Cranberry Buerre Blanc

heat oven to 400
In a heavy, oven proof skillet, over high heat (stovetop) melt 1 tbsp butter with1 tbsp vege oil
Sear all sides of tenderloin. Remove pan and finish cooking in oven for about 20 min. to an internal temp of 135 degrees. (Yes it will be pink inside). Here's a trick if you don't have a thermometer, sqeeze the meat with a pair of tongs, it will "feel" done when it feels the same as the muscle in your forearm (yes, this really only works for women!)
Remove the meat from the pan, & let rest while finishing the sauce.

Put the pan back on the stove over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup white wine (any flavor is fine).
Deglaze the pan by scraping all those yummy bits with a whisk. When about 1/2 the liquid is evaporated, add 1/4 cup of each to the pan: butter, orange juice, and cranberry sauce. Whisk together till smooth.
Slice the tenderloin & pour sauce over it to serve. Choose any quick & easy sides to accompany!
Whole meal takes about 40 minutes to prepare.

A couple of weanies cut about a half inch long and dumped into a can of baked beans and heated. Can;t get much simpler or quicker

A winter favorite

Heat oven to 500 degrees
Throw in a beef roast
cook for 20 minutes
turn off oven- DO NOT OPEN OVEN
leave the roast in there for 3 hrs

Outside is seared- inside is rare
Use the pan drippings to make gravy.

dun":2rv8zuzr said:
A couple of weanies cut about a half inch long and dumped into a can of baked beans and heated. Can;t get much simpler or quicker

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My BIL's family published a really neat family cookbook. They were a large family that grew up on a farm in Eastern Colorado, so you can imagine some of the great food in that cookbook.
Here is BIL's contribution to the recipes, what he prepares when SIL is not home:

1 Bottle of beer
1 package of your favorite crackers

Open bottle
Drink beer
Eat crackers

Man you guys are going to make my printer run out of ink! Thats a good thing though! Im well on my way to making a Cattle Today Cook Book! :cboy: :wave:

I could have simplified my recipe even more. Throw the weanies in a pot of water, boil for 10 minutes, pull them out and wrap a slice of bread around it.

dun":1hytw6t1 said:
I could have simplified my recipe even more. Throw the weanies in a pot of water, boil for 10 minutes, pull them out and wrap a slice of bread around it.

And more nutritious than the beer & crackers, but maybe not as much so as the beans & franks :clap:

dun":1k32kvmd said:

Dun, I don't mean to intrude on your old family recipe, but if I may edit it for the sake of speed. Weanies in the microwave on high for 45 seconds, pull them out then wrap bread around them. You get the added advantage of speed and no dinner dishes.

Alan

Latest posts