Help, my owner doesn't know what I am

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Howdy to all:

Had the cutest little (and I mean little, 55 pounds) heifer born just a couple of days ago.

Would like to play guess the breeding game with her. Can anyone guess her breeding? I can't offer a million dollars prize for the winner, but I can bow down before you hailing your cow knowledge!

Heifer:

her checking me out -she is NOT shy.
herfs1.jpg

she just woke up, and I caught her in an un-flattering stretch:
herfs2.jpg

The easy answer is purebred Hereford.

My guess is 1/2 Hereford and 1/2 Black Angus. We have a baldie this year that looks just like that one you have. Perfect Hereford markings and red just like that one.

jscunn":nhx2ac43 said:
The easy answer is purebred Hereford.

My guess is 1/2 Hereford and 1/2 Black Angus. We have a baldie this year that looks just like that one you have. Perfect Hereford markings and red just like that one.

That is what I was going to write. But, that is if you have a full blooded Herf with a full blooded Angus. So I think there may be percentage cuts off of each half.

I was going to say fullblooded Herf. Have no idea if she is a cross.

hereford, with a touch of Brahman (not very much). Other than that I I have no clue as to what else the calf might be.

It looks like a Hereford Red Angus but could be Black Angus. I have 190 of them weaning right now and about 360 more to go; about half of them looked like that.

mobgrazer":2tmqr4w1 said:
It looks like a Hereford Red Angus but could be Black Angus. I have 190 of them weaning right now and about 360 more to go; about half of them looked like that.

It is supposed to be 25% with a BA/Herf correct? What kind of Herf lines do you have?

I have 100% mutt. Mine are a mix of Red Angus, Black Angus, and Herefords all bread together year after year. I can't remember witch Hereford bulls I was using. We stopped mixing Herefords in 10 years ago and now mostly AI with Black Angus every other year. I think it will be Red Angus next time but don't know if we will AI next year.

mobgrazer":1b310q30 said:
I have 100% mutt. Mine are a mix of Red Angus, Black Angus, and Herefords all bread together year after year. I can't remember witch Hereford bulls I was using. We stopped mixing Herefords in 10 years ago and now mostly AI with Black Angus every other year. I think it will be Red Angus next time but don't know if we will AI next year.

Why did you quit using Herf bulls?

Got a some ear and some navel....must have a little brahman somewhere down the line. Maybe a herford, red brangus cross....Would love to see what her mama looks like.

The company that I sell 70% of my cows to wants more Black Angus in my mix. More Black Angus should work out fine but I will only let them go so far before I put more Red Angus or Herefords back in. They get what they want out of me. I'm even splitting my calving so I will have a group of calve every 6 months for them.

She's actually sired by the registered hereford bull that I'm getting all of the colors from (with the cow's being black)

Her moma is a commercial Simmi:

32.jpg

I almost fell out when I saw this heifer, she's marked just like a hereford, could probably pass as a registered hereford. This has been a strange (color) year here. I have to admit, I do like the change from all black calves, hopefully I don't get hit too hard at the stockyard. Weird though, how small this heifer was. Only 55 pounds is almost "dink" stage. Her sire weighed 100 pounds at birth, and the moma has thrown three normal (for me that's around 75-85 pounds). Moma has a great bag, and her calves grow well - I've been waiting for a heifer from her.We'll see how this one grows.

Good guess Backhoe, but the closest my Angus plus will get to her is to breed her if she stays!

wow! Genetics at work.. ;-)

Like the second photo of the little girl, she looks like I do when I first wake up in the AM

Her momma is nice looking too.

Just as a "Point of Information" topic, the differential definitions of "Purebred" and "FULLblood" do not specifically mean the same thing. :???: Without going into the needless elementary definition of "Purebred" at th is level, suffice it to say that "Fullblood" concerns itself primarily with Breeds of cattle originating in Europe - for example: Limousin, Gelbvieh, and others - and maintaining THOSE specific genetic characteristics - rather than infusing them with OTHER genetics of basically the SAME Breed from those of other countries. Many breeder's use the terms "Purebred" and "Fullblood" interchangeably! :lol2:

DOC HARRIS

So is a Hereford that hasn't been crossed not considered a fullblood?

dang it Cypress i didnt have time to guess yet. i was going to say one of your black w/face simmental type heifers. (based on the white running up the legs) edit: and lack of ear.

RD-Sam":kcgucvhy said:
So is a Hereford that hasn't been crossed not considered a fullblood?

:???: :???: :?: U -h-h-h-h - What parts of:
1) Purebred
2) Fullblood
3) Gelbvieh
4) Limousin
5) Hereford
6) Crossbred
7) Europe. . . . .

. . . .do you NOT understand? You might try reading my post - again - just to make sure that you read it correctly! For example ... "Europe" is NOT "British". Herefords are a "British" breed!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts