Help mounting headgate

Help Support CattleToday:

Inangus7

Reaction score
OK - to make a long story even longer - I acquired a self catching headgate in good condition that I would love to get in working order. The problem is I only have the headgate and am not going to spend a ton of money on a chute or alleyway. I know some of you guys out there have built your own chutes and attached a headgate at the end of some 6x6's or something. The cross bars on my self catching headgate are square not round. I am trying to figure out how I could mount it to an alleyway/chute on the end of some 6x6's with the structural support that I would need. It does have holes on the top/end of the cross bars at the top and bottom of the headgate. It has a stamp on it of Plains Mfg - Sydney Nebraska - bit nothing to be found on the web. So any ideas or pictures of what you guys would be great to get me thinking. Thanks for the input.

Big Bolts run all the way thru the posts with a steel plate(not just washers- found that out the hard way) on the back of the post. Neighbor of mine swears by putting some leather under the back plate to take some shock out. And of course the end posts are braced/solid boarded up VERY WELL. Put your end posts and braces up high enough so nobody bangs their heads on them(you think you won't be walking thru but you will). Can't put enough braces in a wooden chute system.

That is what I originally thought bu the headgate that I have has holes on the top and bottom of tghe cross tubes. not in front so I could mount it to something. the only way I can think of is if I have two 6x6's setup drill a hole from the side of the 6x6 - then slide a steel tube through then through the headgate tube then out the other side of the opposite 6x6. I think I might make a trip to my local welder to see about building a chute around the headgate and incorporating it into the design so it would all be one unit. Wooden chutes scare me..

dun":3itr4d2w said:
Pictures of the headgate front, sides and back might help

OK - I'll continue since I've questioned my own. Attached is a picture similar to what I own. The mounting bolts are on the catch side of the gate - I would expect them to be on the open side since the cow is going to slam into it I would want some posts on the downwind side so to speak. Instead, if you're going to install this on posts, the only thing holding it in place are the bolts on the incoming side. Seems weak.

Also, on the exit side, there are a series of three rings on the right and left - look like part of a door hinge - what are those for? I now have a squeeze chute so it's somewhat immaterial to me at the time, but still very curious.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... adgate.jpg

Latest posts