help me with my heifer please.

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
okk i just recently got a charolais heifer
she's about 7 months so she's still young.
and she is very skittish and i wanted to know
how long you think it would take for her to warm up to me?
or what i could do to help her get used to me.
i got her monday and she hasnt let me get close enough to even touch her.
and i need to get her used to me since she's a show heifer so i need her to get used to me.
i dont know if this is just the tempermant of this type of breed or just this individual calf.
so any information or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
thank you.
2niz2c1.jpg

and this is her^^^ms. pinkie pie^^^

It is not typical of the breed... Charolais are usually easy going... It's my guess that she was weaned on the way home... Put her in a small pen and walk around her.... Do this for a hour or so everyday (couple times a day if you can)... Let her get used to you... I have had some heifers that are skittish and this is what I usually do... When you tie her up, start out tying her head low and work it up as time goes by.... I would leave the halter on her... This will make it easier to catch her... When she lets you pick up the lead and get closer and closer until you can pet her... Good Luck

Generally speaking my Chars are quite calm. I would consider feeding her a little grain. That's usually how I get my girls used to me being close to them. They figure out quickly that you have something they like and they begin to forget about being scared of you and more of the yummy stuff you' re giving them.

Gabby Elle,

My guess is that this little girl hasn't been around people much in close quarters. You need to make the animal comfortable with you and used to being handled. Start with hand feeding her in a small pen. Once you can get her to walk up to you to get fed, and stroked with your hands, brush her off with a comb etc. After that halter brake her by leaving a halter on her all the time and tying the lead to post when she eats as suggested. Generally after that all you have to do is teach them to lead and that just takes time.

no she's not broken in and the guy i bought her from didnt have time to wean her sooo could this have somthing to do with her being skittish.
the whole her not being weaned part?

gabbyellepaige":hl0uyrvg said:
no she's not broken in and the guy i bought her from didnt have time to wean her sooo could this have somthing to do with her being skittish.
the whole her not being weaned part?

Well yeah, she's been taken from her mum and her herd and now she's in a strange place so you can imagine how frightened she'd be. Probably to begin with, yard her and feed her in there, chances are she's out of a paddock. Just so she gets used to you coming and going, and gets used to being confined and in a new environment. Don't try and pet her or anything to begin with, you just want to get her used to you being around. Maybe 2 weeks of that, that's what the university uses to adjust paddock animals to close quarter life. From there you can work on getting her used to you being close to her and tying up and so on.

Maybe other people on here will have a different idea but I think at the moment the biggest part is getting her through weaning.

Just remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Just take it one step at a time and in couple months she will be leading with slack rope.

Somebody, I forget who, a while back said to go in the pen with them and read to them every day until they calm down. I have never done this, but thought it was a "novel" idea (pun intended).
Seems like it might be a good idea.

I think that she is ticked off at you because of that silly name you gave her. Change it to something with some dignity, like Elenor Roosevelt or Oprah or Hillary Clinton or Madeline Albright,,, Just kidding. :)

Brush the heck out of her and she will be just fine.

Latest posts