Help me understand

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmguy

Reaction score
This was posted on another site where I am banned because I didn't agree with the moderator on a within the breed thing. I don't understand, can some one help me? If this is not proper forum behavior please delete this. Thanks farmguy

14 hours ago timbernt said:
We passed that a number of years ago. Look at the black cattle coming in a North American sale ring and try to tell what breed they are. Herefords may be the worst. At least with Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc they have to be 87.5% to be registered. Only 40% in Herefords.
Tim I didn't realize that only 40% was required. That is absurd and explains some of the off colored animals that are inconsistent sires in type and color pattern

Read more: http://herefordtalk.com/thread/3358/230 ... z50IhUEzMU

Simmental can be registered at SimAngus or SimSolution at an extremely low percentage - like 25%. I don't crossbreed, so I am not certain of the minimum, may be 3/8%
Simmental have to be 87.5% to be considered Purebred.
Is the poster referring to the "Black Herefords"???

No black Herefords on that forum are evil. Does anyone know what 40% is all about? I know we had neighbors register Simentals after so many generations, I think 3 generations they were considered purebred. But on this forum many constantly bash their own breed.

Are the trolls some of the ones from this forum? Like M5?
I think cattle will all merge into one breed eventually, ones that taste good, grow good and ones who have few health problems..... that's what i'm shooting for

cowgirl8":2tlf2gbb said:
I think cattle will all merge into one breed eventually, ones that taste good, grow good and ones who have few health problems..... that's what i'm shooting for

That would be a very boring cattle world if there was only one breed of beef cattle.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3o3c4pov said:
Simmental can be registered at SimAngus or SimSolution at an extremely low percentage - like 25%. I don't crossbreed, so I am not certain of the minimum, may be 3/8%
Simmental have to be 87.5% to be considered Purebred.
Is the poster referring to the "Black Herefords"???

I have a Simangus cow registered that is 1/4 Simmental so it goes lower than 3/8 ths

Bullitt":269neve7 said:
cowgirl8":269neve7 said:

That would be a very boring cattle world if there was only one breed of beef cattle.
So if a person is all angus, or horned hereford, they tend to be anti anything else and just prejudice against anything other than what they have . I think a combination of all breeds wrapped up into one, with the best of each one, would be the answer. You can sneeze black Hereford and the hate comes out....never understood it.

I don't care for black Herefords since they're just another Angus composite.

But I thought a Hereford has to be 100% to be registered?

True Grit Farms":10lejy34 said:
Hereford.....some have horns, some are polled, but none are black.

People have started making new breeds of everything black since, for some reason, black cattle seem to sell for higher prices. It makes no sense to me. You would think the cattle would be judged on conformation and not hair color.

Bullitt":1sy2p2fg said:
True Grit Farms":1sy2p2fg said:

People have started making new breeds of everything black since, for some reason, black cattle seem to sell for higher prices. It makes no sense to me. You would think the cattle would be judged on conformation and not hair color.

Makes a lot of sense. You said it yourself - in markets where black cattle sell for a premium, producers who want to retain their breed base, are going to introduce genes to make their base black.

What boggles my mind are the people stuck on red angus.....lol....I DONT UNDERSTAND... Its like, lets make a beautiful rose that smells like a skunk.....

True Grit Farms":2eg662ft said:
Angus are black, and red Angus are red. There's been red Angus ever since there was Angus.
This I know...but, who will be the first to turn red angus black like they've done many breeds..lol

Bright Raven":32e3l89k said:
Bullitt":32e3l89k said:
True Grit Farms":32e3l89k said:

Makes a lot of sense. You said it yourself - in markets where black cattle sell for a premium, producers who want to retain their breed base, are going to introduce genes to make their base black.

I meant to say that it makes no sense that cattle buyers pay more for black hair.

True Grit Farms":3g041wpk said:
Angus are black, and red Angus are red. There's been red Angus ever since there was Angus.

True. In Europe the breed is called Aberdeen Angus and some are black and some are red. In the United States the black and red Angus are treated like separate breeds. It would be like breaking up Labrador retrievers into three breeds -- black, yellow, and chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts