Help me out here with your experince with truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
Found a 93 F250 XLT Diesel its an auto, 7.3 motor, 1 owner (elderly man) and has 67000 miles on it. I did search and several are really against an auto. transmission. It has a newer transmission in it, it is a Jasper put in about 4 years ago. I am skeptical about the auto. transmission but it has the 7.3 motor and is in good shape otherwise. Already has ball hitch and tow package on it. I will use this truck around the farm and to pull 14 ft. gooseneck cattletrailer probably 10-20 times a year and to haul in hay from field to barn. Want to know if any own or have owned or worked on these trucks and what can you tell me about them, also do you think this truck being an auto can hold up to what I need it to do? Thanks for you input in advance.

well i cant tell you about the truck personally.but i can give you some thoughts on the auto tranny.i wouldnt be scared of an auto tranny.the reason you read negative things about them is because people think they wont pull.but they are wrong.they will pull just takes a bit to get the load going.but i think it will do everything you need it to.i know guys that drove 4spds.an changed to autos.an they say they wont go back to the 4spds.

if the price is tight jump on it, that truck will do all ya want and if it dont theres alotta parts out there and plenty of power upgrades

A Ford 7.3 diesel is probably the best diesel engine Ford has ever built. As far as an automatic trans goes I spent the last 12 years (out of 35) working in service management in a Ford dealership and saw very very few problems with Fords auto trans/diesel combos.

Thanks for the info. guys, as far as the upgrades what is available, I don't know if you can put a chip in those trucks or not? The original owner I talk to and he said his father (deceased) had the truck and it had lots of little problems over the years but they had everything fixed and for the last 2 years they have had no problems with it at all.

Wick":31i36jnf said:
Thanks for the info. guys, as far as the upgrades what is available, I don't know if you can put a chip in those trucks or not? The original owner I talk to and he said his father (deceased) had the truck and it had lots of little problems over the years but they had everything fixed and for the last 2 years they have had no problems with it at all.
I'm gonna catch some flack here and I'm not trying to start an arguement but I don't believe in "chips" for engines. Reason is I don't believe in pushing an engine very far past it's designed capacity.

Wick":236ebvqv said:

The 93 has mechanical fuel injection. No chips, no computers, no b.s., the way a diesel should be. Only upgrades you can really do is add an aftermarket turbo or turn the fuel up a little bit. But for what you're talking about doing with the truck, just leave it alone, it'll last longer and give fewer problems. Some trucks are prone to have little problems constantly, some never a glich. Each has it's own personality and such, kind of like women. :shock:

cfpinz

cfpinz":31jog9t1 said:
Wick":31jog9t1 said:

The 93 has mechanical fuel injection. No chips, no computers, no b.s., the way a diesel should be. Only upgrades you can really do is add an aftermarket turbo or turn the fuel up a little bit. But for what you're talking about doing with the truck, just leave it alone, it'll last longer and give fewer problems. Some trucks are prone to have little problems constantly, some never a glich. Each has it's own personality and such, kind of like women. :shock:

I agree here about the upgrades for turbo or turning more fuel to it, but making it breath better will be a farily cheap upgrade that will be worth the $$. Add an after market air intake (K&N, Air raid, etc...) and upgrade the exhaust. this will do all you need...
cfpinz

Jasper transmissions are great! They stand behind them ,too.Just be sure to put a good sized transmission cooler on it and you should do fine.Neighbor went through two or three trans on his '95 then put in Jasper and cooler 15000 miles later its still going.

that truck will be fine for what you are using it for...and the auto transmission should be fine...it'll pull a 14' gooseneck fine without turning the fuel up...the 7.3L is a good strong engine...and I wouldn't recommend putting a turbo on one of them, they are expensive, and from my experience, they seem to put a lot more stress on the engine than what it was built for...if it didn't come stock with a turbo, then i'd say just leave it be...and about turning the fuel up, well i've turned the fuel up a little on every non-turbo 7.3L that i've owned...but i've learned the hard way, if you turn it up too much, then them cylinder heads don't last too long on the engine :oops: ...i'd just leave that be too...sounds like a good truck and has very low miles (we've put over 300,000 miles on more than one of them trucks and they still ran fine)...so like dieselbeef said earlier, if the price is right...then jump on that offer :)

Wick":1qcy4ya0 said:
Found a 93 F250 XLT Diesel its an auto, 7.3 motor, 1 owner (elderly man) and has 67000 miles on it. I did search and several are really against an auto. transmission. It has a newer transmission in it, it is a Jasper put in about 4 years ago. I am skeptical about the auto. transmission but it has the 7.3 motor and is in good shape otherwise. Already has ball hitch and tow package on it. I will use this truck around the farm and to pull 14 ft. gooseneck cattletrailer probably 10-20 times a year and to haul in hay from field to barn. Want to know if any own or have owned or worked on these trucks and what can you tell me about them, also do you think this truck being an auto can hold up to what I need it to do? Thanks for you input in advance.

I owned a 93 that was a 5 speed w/turbo and a 410 rear end. It was a tough truck that would pull a barn but get stuck in wet grass. I was constantly engaging the 4wd to get out of wet grass. The only drawback to this truck was its ride. It rode so rough that it literally broke the plastic pins that held the plastic dash cover in place. Forget about a cd player.lol I guess maybe i was spoiled somewhat because I was accustomed to my son's 3/4 ton Chevy which rode so much better. Just my experience.

NamVet_Farmer44":2kc6zbr8 said:
(we've put over 300,000 miles on more than one of them trucks and they still ran fine)
WELP I RECKON the team of mules must have gotten mighty tired from pulling those trucks around all those miles. However did they do it. One good thing about that crazy 7300 acres of $21,000,000.00 dollar land swap is atleast the poor mules will have a place to die peacefully Eating chicken litter and hershey candy.

somn":2r71h6tr said:
NamVet_Farmer44":2r71h6tr said:
(we've put over 300,000 miles on more than one of them trucks and they still ran fine)
WELP I RECKON the team of mules must have gotten mighty tired from pulling those trucks around all those miles. However did they do it. One good thing about that crazy 7300 acres of $21,000,000.00 dollar land swap is atleast the poor mules will have a place to die peacefully Eating chicken litter and hershey candy.

Geez, somn, you don't forget anything, do you? :lol:

VanC":2fvx5ky5 said:
somn":2fvx5ky5 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":2fvx5ky5 said:

Geez, somn, you don't forget anything, do you? :lol:
Not usually. I won't remember when a poster tells us they twisted their ankle walking across the yard but then again it is hard to forget wild stories like old heritage farmboy's. Thankfully for those mules he replaced them with the largest tracked tractor challenger makes and also that Class 8 Massey combine he bought. Sometimes newcomers need to be reminded that guy on the other end typing advice might just be less knowledgable than they first appear.

Well I bought the F-250. I drove it all around before I bought it and tried the 4x4 out real good. All seems to be doing well with the truck. I think it will do what I need it to. I thought that the $5500 I spent was well worth the money. Thanks for everyone's info.

just check and see if it has an extra cooler for the tranny, maybe add a larger one to it, you will prob have more problems with the vac pump for the brakes on this model, also keep an eye on the fan clutch, you want a hevy duty one to keep cold air going trhough that trann cooler

Latest posts