Help me figure this one out.

Help Support CattleToday:

TREY-L

Reaction score
Ok, some background....My brother and I purchased some property back in February (137 acres). The land is divided into two tracts 83 acres and 54 acres. The 54 acre tract was leased to a gentleman to hunt on, although I have seen no paperwork provided by leasee or the previous owner. The guy that we purchased the property from did tell us there was a lease and that it will be up in June, but there was nothing to that affect in the sales contract. The older gentleman that has the lease owns acreage adjoining the 54 acres. To keep the peace, and to try to be a good neighbor, I will honor the lease (what's a few months). On the flip side of the coin, the current leasee has contacted me and asked to continue with the current arrangements and that he would like to keep leasing the property. I have declined this offer, as my brother and I may choose to hunt it some during bow season. Now the older gentleman has been kinda running me down in the small community where the property lies, I guess because we didn't lease it back to him. I don't live in this area, but I have alot of friends that do.

My question is.....LEGALLY, do I have to honor said lease, or is this a matter that the leasee should be taking up with the previous owner.

I live in Alabama.

Just curious if anyone else on here has ever run into this.

If there is no contract in WRITING that had a provision for "what if" the property changes ownership, I'd say being the new owners, you can declare all those "old" aggreements a officially null and void. I would'nt give a rats behind if the man ran me down in the community. Let others know what the facts are and the BS will soon go away. I hear of so many stories about fellers saying they've got leases on places. Mosy of them are verbal and are not worth a plug nickel in the event of a death or a sale of property. Things neglected to be agreed upon on paper are usually meant to be broken.

Crowderfarms":1uumzr4r said:
If there is no contract in WRITING that had a provision for "what if" the property changes ownership, I'd say being the new owners, you can declare all those "old" aggreements as officially null and void. I would'nt give a rats behind if the man ran me down in the community. Let others know what the facts are and the BS will soon go away

"This property under new ownership - no trespassing" every couple hundred yards?

I think you were on the right path letting the previous "lease" expire and giving the guy a few months that you DID NOT have to.

I would think the conversation you had with the original owner would be a verbal contract that you would honor the lease . If it went to court would you be willing to lie under oath ? If not I would honor the agreement, then break all ties with the man .

Larry

larryshoat":2eeh6g38 said:
I would think the conversation you had with the original owner would be a verbal contract that you would honor the lease . If it went to court would you be willing to lie under oath ? If not I would honor the agreement, then break all ties with the man .

Larry

The previous owner did in fact tell us there was a hunting lease on the place before we bought it, but I thought that he was going to contact the leasee and inform him of the pending sale and make amends with him. I had no idea that the lease was expected to run its entire life span, I thought it would have had to have been in the sales contract to be binding.

I will just let it run it's course and try to be the bigger person and not argue over a few months.

I have several friends in this community that have already come to my defense several times.

If he gets too out of hand, I'll just right 25 hunting permits next deer season and hunt on our other land. ;-)

There is nothing to figure out. You did right by allowing the man to finish his lease in June rather than kicking him off. If he wants to be plssed off with someone it should be with the other man for selling his lease out from under him and not giving him some of his money back as is what is customarily done in this situation. Also, the old geezer should be mad at himself. If it was so valuable to him why didn't he buy the land. Hunters!!! I believe a lot of these idiots are put in a box all year and shook up just before the season comes in and turned loose like a bunch of crazy hornets.

Don't worry about what the man says as you are in good company in this SOB club. I'm a charter member. I can't tell you how many times people have wanted to continue to hunt land cause their great granddaddy hunted with such and such or was kin to such and such.

TREY-L":29zzindc said:
I really appreciate all the feedback.

Trey, let the lease run out. Post the property. Earn your own respect in the community. You don't have to defend your position in the community. Most will know the guy is just sour grapes.

Sounds like the type of person who just expected something for free his whole life. if he valued the land and hunting there so much, why didn't he just buy the land himself. I'm sure he knew it was up for sale.

New owner, new rules, stand your ground and ditch the leasee.

GMN

the land was leased out to him when you bought it.an you was made aware of the lease.an you agreed to let it stand till it ran out.as for a written lease most leases are a handshake.an for as long as you want to lease your place out.an you have the right to end the lease when its up.

victory hunter":28rutdqo said:
trey l,
You would not be near Moulton would you?

I'm not Trey but I am near Moulton. If you know where Moulton is I'm sure you have heard of Landersville. I live just off of 101.

Jogeephus":jbri5qx7 said:
There is nothing to figure out. You did right by allowing the man to finish his lease in June rather than kicking him off. If he wants to be plssed off with someone it should be with the other man for selling his lease out from under him and not giving him some of his money back as is what is customarily done in this situation. Also, the old geezer should be mad at himself. If it was so valuable to him why didn't he buy the land. Hunters!!! I believe a lot of these idiots are put in a box all year and shook up just before the season comes in and turned loose like a bunch of crazy hornets.

Don't worry about what the man says as you are in good company in this SOB club. I'm a charter member. I can't tell you how many times people have wanted to continue to hunt land cause their great granddaddy hunted with such and such or was kin to such and such.

No joke I am a deer hunter and I hate deer hunters they are the absolute worst.
I leased the paper company land around me just to stop having to deal with the idiots from Houston.
Came up the road one day out of the back pasture a few years back and there was a new Dodge 4x4 parked in the drive off the county road and locked. I just backed the old Massey up to it and drug it out on the county road. Guy come out of the woods screaming there was no place to park his truck, I guess since he had leased the land he thought he had rights to everyone one elses. Soon as season was over I contacted International Paper and leased it.

CB, you and I think alike. Don't have time for some of these dimwits. We lease a good bit of land out but view the hunters as a neccessary evil. Either it is lease hunted or poached. Some of the hunters are OK. Some are complete idiots. A while back, you made a comment about city folks being the worst. I disagreed and still do. I find its the locals, like Trey-L mentioned who turn out to be the worst cause they think they have some God given right to use and abuse your land cause they are related to so and so or know so and so. It still amazes me how someone whose grandaddy used to own a farm 80 years ago can continue to think that they have the right to hunt and fish on the property and call me a SOB for denying them permission.

the locals are the worst about hunting on land without asking or caring.we have some land down in the bottom.an some people that think they can hunt it as much as they want.when asked why they think that.they say because my grandaddy daddy have always hunted here.an that gives me an my kids right to hunt here.on the bottom place we put gates up an locked them.they go down an cut the dang locks off.an put their locks on them.

bigbull338":37wyhjve said:
the locals are the worst about hunting on land without asking or caring.we have some land down in the bottom.an some people that think they can hunt it as much as they want.when asked why they think that.they say because my grandaddy daddy have always hunted here.an that gives me an my kids right to hunt here.on the bottom place we put gates up an locked them.they go down an cut the dang locks off.an put their locks on them.

Thats ridiculus, I'd say time to take action into your own hands, they won't have a leg to stand on, being they are trespassing. It amazes me inconsiderate people are. I guess you could go over to their house and make yourself home there too, and see how they like it.

GMN

Bigbull lots of those folks are probably folks you've know since they were kids but nevetheless for your own good I think I'd give them one more warning and tell them the "high sheriff" will be coming to see you boys if you do it one more time. Hopefully they won't be the kind that will get upset and set your bottom on fire. :mad:

thats the thing you cant catch them hunting.or cutting the locks.an we know who it is an tell them they better be careful down there.never know when someone will be there.

Latest posts